Is setting up a fruit fly culture hard?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always see posts on how to do it but I never get like .. visuals or pictures so it's kinda hard for me to understand. Is it expensive? I want to be able to raise my own little mantis babies :) haha.

When I mix my own media, I use Rebecca's recipe and have had good luck with that. But as I got busy and have more mantids, I have switched to using Repashy most of the time. It's very quick and my nymphs seem to be doing really well eating fruitflies from the cultures made with Repashy.

No. I make them in the 32 oz insect cups with cloth vented lid. I add about an inch or two of dry commercially made medium (works best), a pinch of yeast, and enough water to make the medium wet but not sopping wet. Put a LITTLE bit of excelsior and add some flies. Put lid on and wait. Done. People on here try to get all fancy but it really is that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipe:
1/4 c. Mashed Potato Flakes- choose the least expensive brand you can find
1 T. Powdered Sugar
1 T. Brewer's Yeast (optional)
Sprinkle of Dry Active Yeast
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. hot water

Recipe:

1 T. Powdered Sugar

Packet of Dry Active Yeast

1/4 c. white vinegar

1/4 c. hot water
Only sprinkle a pinch or so of the yeast on the prepared medium. 1 Packet will last a long time.

I made cultures again tonight, what am I doing wrong? see pics......

the first one is what was in one culture, 2nd is new culture, 3rd is even after dumping out all the flies I could, still to many left.....

fuzzy even made cultures with me twice last week, the more I make the more I make......funny, I don't have many mouths to feed them to, now if I did, I would not have any fruit flies, u with me !

2013-04-07_19-33-26_381.jpg

2013-04-07_19-37-02_660.jpg

2013-04-07_19-40-18_482.jpg

Recipe:

1 T. Powdered Sugar

1/4 c. white vinegar

1/4 c. hot water
I use this recipe with a couple tablespoons of oatmeal too. I would also like to add the cheaper the flakes the better. Make sure there is no added butter or flavorings.

yea, there is absolutely no reason not to make your own. That's how I started, I never brought anyones mix, made my own till I got it right. Took me a long time to find the right yeast, and mold inhibitor, but I have them now and I am pleased with them.

Recipe:

1 T. Powdered Sugar

1/4 c. white vinegar

1/4 c. hot water
Don't forget to read labels a bit, too. The smaller amount of preservatives, the better! :p

Latest posts