Is there a way to get a mantis to flare up?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scXthursday

Reaction score
I really want to shoot a picture of Zorak like this; I've only seen him do it one time, and that was to my dog. Is there a was to coax mantids into doing this; or do they just do it volutary?

Taunt them with a finger or a stick. I have had some that threat pose at anything. I have also had a couple of mantids that would never do it, no matter how I taunt them. Don't hurt them though, just poke at them enough to anger or frighten them.

tried the blunt end of a tweezer (that he knows what it is) no go; tried a water bottle top; no help; finally tried the tip of a pen; no help. I think hes just a friendly boy...

Some take a lot more "encouragement" than others. I have one guy that flares at my pinky finger when I hold him and others that haven't ever flared up. Just find what works I guess! :lol:

You'll probably need to make direct physical contact in this case, so use an artist's soft paintbrush. But if you want to see him really "flare up" put a little 92% rubbing alcohol on his abdomen, light a match and.... :D

I have a method that always work. Put a mantid inside of a glass jar (spagetti jar). Next, put it next to a bird like a chicken. The chicken will peck at it but will be unable to because of the barrier. Mantid goes into full defense mode without you ever having to physically harassing it. The thing is you need a bird to do it. Wild birds should be able to do the same thing (near bird feeder?), but the thing is to make sure the jar is closed shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a method that always work. Put a mantid inside of a glass jar (spagetti jar). Next, put it next to a bird like a chicken. The chicken will peck at it but will be unable to because of the barrier. Mantid goes into full defense mode without you ever having to physically harassing it. The thing is you need a bird to do it. Wild birds should be able to do the same thing (near bird feeder?), but the thing is to make sure the jar is closed shut.
Jeeze Ntsees!!! That's like making it face it's worst and biggest fear! :lol: Quite creative! Now if I could only find a chicken......

Jeeze Ntsees!!! That's like making it face it's worst and biggest fear! :lol: Quite creative! Now if I could only find a chicken......
Go to Google images or Deviantart and show him a full screen shot of an Idol or other mantid in full flare from a foot or two away...work for mine everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definatly will try it. And by flare up; I don't mean light his ###### on fire lol; I don't think think that would be in zoraks best interests