Is there any way to preserve a dead mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uralowl

Reaction score
A couple of minutes ago, I was checking on my mantids and unfortunately my adult female Indian Flower mantis was laying at the bottom of her enclosure, dead. I'm not surprised though, she was getting really old and I'm actually more surprised by how long she had lived, I had her for nearly a year. She laid 3 ooths during her time, the last one she laid only about a week or two ago.

I was wondering if there is a way to preserve her body, besides just putting it in the freezer? My knowledge on taxidermy is pretty much zero I'm afraid, especially with insects, lol.

What i did was dry clean mine out right away, the pinned and left to dry in a box. Then cased her (except this female i speak of was a violin mantis.)

Or do you mean like in a jar of stuff, not pinned?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did conserve them in jars full of alcohol before but since it's an expensive business i switched to pinning.

This year I'll try a different technique, conservation with pine resin, much like amber. It preserves and smells good

Dry and pin, put in a jar of ethanol, etc.

Latest posts