Keeping mantids at high elevations?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to go on a road trip for less than a week but I would have to bring my collection with me. If temp & humidity are optimal, could the high elevation (lower oxygen/air pressure) kill my mantises? 5,000-10,000ft for 5 days

That is a good question. In my experience there doesn't seem to be much difference other then maybe acting a little slower then normal when I took mantises to around 4,000 ft. Though I didn't have mantises at 10,000 feet so that could be a different story. But fruit flies at least seem to get hyper charged at higher elevations of around 4k feet. As long as the temperatures are kept relatively stable they should be ok I think. But if anyone else has more data or experience with this please chime in.
If you are concerned with their well being they should be fine to be left alone for 5 days at home. Just feed them extra food. Or have a friend check on them or feed them while you are away if possible. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Latest posts