L-2 Ghosts together

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlemmings

Reaction score
Well all or nearly all my L-1 Ghosts have molted and are L-2. I have them in a deli-cup that is half the size of a 32 oz.

100_0250.jpg

This morning while doing a head count I kept coming up one short...found one Ghost with head missing...I pulled body out with tweezers and it would still move a bit...there were still 5-10 fruit flys in there. is this container too small?

Should I go 32oz for more hiding space? did not think I would need to worry about them so early!!

Poor ghostie:

100_0247-1.jpg

I have my 6 L3's in a 32oz container. no fatalities. Your cups look a bit crowded with plants. That could have been the problem.

maybe, I have two silk flowers one glued to top and the other to bottom with spagum moss substrate and a little excelsior to climb on...what do you think? here is a better pic...

100_0252.jpg

i think that's a bit too much for comfort. since i know they love hanging from things (high elevation preferably). I usually leave a good 1-2 inches of free space between the lid and the plants on the bottom. I try to include a long of perching places too!

they were just so tiny...

100_0214-1.jpg

the 32 oz lloked like it might hide the food and make the Ghosts look at each other like in the cartoons where one guys buddy suddenly looks like a steak!!!! (date wrong on camera)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say ditch the substrate and silk flowers and stick to the exerciser. It also looks a bit to wet in there for comfort.

I agree with gripen, to much moisture, and they really need more room, I leave mine in a 32 oz just for a couple days, then they have to be evicted and find another apt building!

I agree with gripen, to much moisture, and they really need more room, I leave mine in a 32 oz just for a couple days, then they have to be evicted and find another apt building!
So you think at freshly L-2 they need MORE room than a 32 oz deli?...wont they have a harder time finding the FF's?

So you think at freshly L-2 they need MORE room than a 32 oz deli?...wont they have a harder time finding the FF's?
I agree with Rebecca, that is too much misting then is needed. just light, 2 or 3 pumps from your sprayer and you'll be fine with them.

yes it will get dryer, faster. but that is what you'll need.

depending on how many you have, yes, move them.

I keep about 5 per 32 ounce tub at that size. any more and they get split up. as they molt, one will get removed to another tub. so by L5 I only have 1 or 2 max per 32 ounce container. the fruit flys at this time will find the mantids (their mistake), so don't worrie.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
okay...was hoping to keep em communal but since there are a handfull and I do not relish losing ANY of them I will have to make more room in my aquarium...

Latest posts