LAME's Collection Thread.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work so far mate. I'm sad to report that both male Pnigomantis have been eaten by the females. However, one female had been mated.

11.05.16:

Woke up to find my girlfriend's cat once again busted through my tanks. Leaving me completely screwed, im now out of the game.

I'm going to kill this cat today, as it is only fair. I'm beyond done... I'm beyond my God damned limits here. 

I have one mantis left, Ruin. Whom will be sold. It's been fun forum friends... but clearly no matter what I do, I keep getting the dicked end.

Peace out yall.

(End of LAME's collection thread.)

Terribly sorry to hear it happened again buddy. :( I am at a loss here as I can only imagine how mad I would be too.

The only solution I would know would be a protected/enclosed bookcase or such to stop it, but that is of little use in the meantime, and only worthwhile if you decide to try yet again.

I can only hope that damn cat did not manage to get to your beardies too.

Honestly, I'd skin it while it was still breathing if it ever stepped close to the dragons room. That's a promise I made when I first recieved Valkyrie.

Probably just going to step down for awhile, I can't keep putting myself through this continuous problem  (that it's keeper does nothing about...) without losing my s***. I've invested far too much for this to keep happening.

Yet , according to the significant?  They're just bugs.. which maybe true through her closeminded view, they were my hobby and something I enjoyed (which is a rarity in itself. .)

I say the same about cats, they're just cats and easily replaced.  Worthless animals that do nothing but eat up my money and get into my belongings without any discipline handed out. I can't say a mantis does any of these things... let alone stink up a house.

So... yeah,  probably best if I step down, return later on in the spring,  and rid of this worthless lifeform living amongst my house. Though I'll still be here in the forum, keeping (at this point in time...) probably isn't a great idea.

Plus I don't see idolos making a weeks trip and living now with this cold weather..

Last edited by a moderator:
@LAME Great to hear your beardies are safe. I didn't know if they were in the same room or not, and the outcome.

Wow... just bugs. I don't know what I would do if my wife felt the same way, especially in such a situation. Sadly I imagine if something happened like that with my arachnids she would be trying to hide her joy, but with my mantids and vinegaroon she would be upset; however, it is unknown really until such a thing occurs.

I am really sorry for your losses, and can only say I hope you remain on the forum - perhaps returning to keeping if you choose to later on. I'd check into the weather to see if there is a window of time available (as it may still be soon enough) for such a delivery, that is if you are up to it.

@CosbyArt Nah, Luckily I have them in my back bedroom and the door remains closed. I did have my male beardie in my bug room for awhile but decided I should maybe move him, he didn't like it in there. Guess it's a good thing I did... 

Right? People boggle my mind, the small mindedness of today's society makes me sick. This is why I stick to myself and don't bother with people much in the "real life".

But, I'm sure I'll return to keeping the aliens.. just right now probably isn't a good time. Plus tracking down more idolos is a next to impossible task, moreso stateside. I may have to wait and track down a breeder in foreign countries which isn't the route I want to take, but will if that's my only option.

@LAME Indeed it was. That is true, and I really hate to say anything as it may simply strain your relationship even more. Great to hear, and if there is anything I can do to help you getting started again just let me know. :)

Dang, that stinks, luckily my husband is very supportive and he helps out with food and helping me build their enclosures, but I have had guests express their disgust about my pets, which is rude. I've had multiple pets and I have to say that mantids are by far the easiest, cleanest, and most fascinating things I've had, it's too bad that your partner can't see how awesome they are. How old is the cat? Old hopefully? Sorry about your pets :(

@LAME Indeed it was. That is true, and I really hate to say anything as it may simply strain your relationship even more. Great to hear, and if there is anything I can do to help you getting started again just let me know. :)
It's all good, and I appreciate that dude. :)

Dang, that stinks, luckily my husband is very supportive and he helps out with food and helping me build their enclosures, but I have had guests express their disgust about my pets, which is rude. I've had multiple pets and I have to say that mantids are by far the easiest, cleanest, and most fascinating things I've had, it's too bad that your partner can't see how awesome they are. How old is the cat? Old hopefully? Sorry about your pets :(
That's good to hear, you're lucky. ;)

the cat's still fairly young, and in its defense I will say it did what cats do and my expensive (and now a rare species to get...) mantids paid the price.

However in my eye's?  It's been around long enough to know better. It just blew the opportunity I had to finally breed the Idolomantis and get them sustained here in the hobby. Not only did it screw me, it screwed everyone here which pissed me off the most I think. 

@LAME well I wish you luck there man, I've owned cats and they're assholes, I've only owned one cat that was totally chill and never ruined anything, but I would freak if anything hurt my bugs, I've grown quite attached to them. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to any more mantids to manage to aquire and hopefully we see more of you in the future! :p

Latest posts