LAME's Collection Thread.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know a lot about them, but thought I read somewhere that they get most of their color during the last molt, right?
Yeah they'll get all kinds of beautiful colors at the adult shed, or a week after rather. But most the females I've kept usually stay white until then... where as most the males I've owned have been darkish, almost a burnt color.

Ruin's sister molted...

Before going to bed I caught her mid-molt (hanging) and assumed everything was alright, Heat and humidity was good so I went ahead and called it a night. However when I woke up and checked on the fresh moltee I found her laying face down...

Some how she ended up falling during the molt and lost a tarsus, the tip of her claw on the same arm, lost a toe (hook) on a rear leg, and was favoring her other rear leg.

I tried to keep her alive but she had to be put down 2 days ago.

Ruin's sister molted...

Before going to bed I caught her mid-molt (hanging) and assumed everything was alright, Heat and humidity was good so I went ahead and called it a night. However when I woke up and checked on the fresh moltee I found her laying face down...

Some how she ended up falling during the molt and lost a tarsus, the tip of her claw on the same arm, lost a toe (hook) on a rear leg, and was favoring her other rear leg.

I tried to keep her alive but she had to be put down 2 days ago.
oh that seriously sucks. I am so sorry for your loss. :( What instar was she on?

It's okay sticky, I'm just glad I had more than one of each gender.

....speaking of;

08.17.16: Ruin molts again. She's now a sub adult.Boys should molt anytime now... I think.

With three left it is enough to get something accomplished. Sounds like you are right on track and getting close with a sub adult. :D

08.18.16:

Joining the higher ranks, one of the two males molted to sub adult. 

20160819_031612_zps1ckosqrf.jpg
20160819_031800_zpsstjoo65p.jpg
Despite the recent death, I am satisfied. ^_^  

Idolomantis male #2 is also showing heavy signs for his molt as well. ;)  

08.31.16:

Since I'm just sitting around playing the waiting game with the idolos, I want ahead a mated the 2 native species here in my area (S.carolina and T. sinensis).
20160830_103121_zpsqjjjlh5k.jpg

Found a T. sinensis adult (female.), she was incredibly massive in the abdomen so I'm assuming she's probably already mated (and probably ate the unlucky mates.)
20160831_102932_zpspff6pp3q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
08.31.16:

Since I'm just sitting around playing the waiting game with the idolos, I want ahead a mated the 2 native species here in my area (S.carolina and T. sinensis).

Found a T. sinensis adult (female.), she was incredibly massive in the abdomen so I'm assuming she's probably already mated (and probably ate the unlucky mates.)
Wow, you mated a Stagmomantis and Tenodera together?! You must have some mystic husbandry powers. :D

I don't blame you though, I do the same and my local Stagmomantis carolina population has benefited in numbers from it.

I tend though to collect older mated females only or the fresh ooths when I find them to prevent as many ooths getting infested with parasitic wasps and other issues that happen if I leave them over the winter. Then I just return the majority back in late spring already hatched - or as spring nears, I attach them outside to let them hatch naturally.

Looks like Ruin is a camera ham, she's staring straight at it both times. :D Hopefully she'll hurry up and get caught up with your boys.

Looks like Ruin is a camera ham, she's staring straight at it both times. :D Hopefully she'll hurry up and get caught up with your boys.
Oh yeah, she definitely is lol. She's also a nosey mantis ^_^  always watching from her door.

She's caught up, or the boys caught up with her rather... she's always been the one ahead of the others. They're all still sitting at subadult and should molt within the same window if I've done it correctly. Which, oughta be sometime within the next 2 weeks. 

....hopefully.

With luck, I'll be the one to breed. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
10.02.16:

One step closer to achieving the goal, I had awaken this morning to see one of my males busted skin and is now a beautiful adult. 

He's currently inflating his wings, so I'm gonna hold out on photos until  later today.

A little out of order but I'm not too worried. Ruin's adult shed should be this week as well, followed by the final male.

Congrats on your progress! Your going so well on your way to your ultimate goal!

Great pics!

Latest posts