LAME's Collection Thread.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04.02.16:

Crowley has passed..

Kinda wish this was some sick minded belated April fool's prank, however it is not... 

Extremely disappointed. 

Sorry to hear it didn't work this time either buddy.  :( You haven't had any good luck in trying to breed them. Seems like you found your unattainable mantid goal, so it must really be something great in the end.

Sadly I haven't even had the opportunity to even try to breed them... but that's alright, like I've said before.. I plan to restart with the species anyway and I'm already out looking for ooths.

Well you have already raised the species from ooth to adults, so surely you can finish the final step. ;) Glad to see you will be trying them again, maybe this time keep several nymphs so you will have plenty on hand to beat any issues. :)

Aww, sorry about the Idolos mate. I had lost mine some time ago to the subadult molt :( mine was a male too. Hopefully my griffins go smoother. Kept a pair for myself and they are both subs, so let's get generation 2 underway xD

Aww, sorry about the Idolos mate. I had lost mine some time ago to the subadult molt :( mine was a male too. Hopefully my griffins go smoother. Kept a pair for myself and they are both subs, so let's get generation 2 underway xD
All good bro, I've got a few plans in action for the idolos. I don't plan on throwing in the towel that easily with that species... us stateside members deserve to have them around.

Nice job on the girffins man, I sent the rest of my Griffin crew out to another member whom may also breed them. Maybe my generation will keep moving too :)

My subadult female is an incredible olive color with stripes! I would post a photo but my photos are massive compared to the allotted file size xD

04.28.16:

Moving forward with the idolo project, I've managed to bring the male to adulthood. Whom will be rehomed for a breeders loan to another member.

20160425_184253_zpszxbxfhqx.jpg

20160425_235435_zpspznmcgz6.jpg
I purchased a small group of 4 more idolo babies that came in yesterday. 2 of which have already molted to L2.

I'm putting together a group of keepers here in the states to help the community keep the Idolomantis diabolica state side. I've been creeping around our forum for a few months pulling those I know/knew have kept them, with luck we'll be able to achieve the goal.

With this being said... I'm kind of thinking of downsizing my crew down to minimal. Keeping only the ghosts from "Project: Community Inspiration." And idolomantis diabolica. The remaining will be posted in hopes to rehome.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is always more room here xD but Idolomantis will prove to be a challenge to maintain across the board. I believe them to be one of the few species that really aren't meant to be in captivity, seeing as they demand many specific things for their care and husbandry. And even when provided, still manage to barely cling on in captivity.

There is always more room here xD but Idolomantis will prove to be a challenge to maintain across the board. I believe them to be one of the few species that really aren't meant to be in captivity, seeing as they demand many specific things for their care and husbandry. And even when provided, still manage to barely cling on in captivity.
Honestly I've had very very little problems with this species, once you've gotten your tanks built properly and understand their needs it's just like owning any other. Really I don't understand this reputation the idolo has.. as I've heard hundred of times how famous they are for death.

Maybe it's just my experience... maybe it's just some people don't bother doing any sort of research on what they're getting themselves into? But I've come to terms they're just like any other exotic pet... whether it's mantis or whatever, if you don't meet the requirements then your pet will suffer.  But in any case, this is a task I want to take on. 

On a side note though, I've got two pairs of double shield.. I know youre pretty fond of the sp. (Mantisman 230)

I had sent my males off to someone, but my only female ended up failing her last molt. Still want to breed them for myself but have yet to do so ;)

04.28.16:

Moving forward with the idolo project, I've managed to bring the male to adulthood. Whom will be rehomed for a breeders loan to another member.

I purchased a small group of 4 more idolo babies that came in yesterday. 2 of which have already molted to L2.

I'm putting together a group of keepers here in the states to help the community keep the Idolomantis diabolica state side. I've been creeping around our forum for a few months pulling those I know/knew have kept them, with luck we'll be able to achieve the goal.

With this being said... I'm kind of thinking of downsizing my crew down to minimal. Keeping only the ghosts from "Project: Community Inspiration." And idolomantis diabolica. The remaining will be posted in hopes to rehome.
Awesome work bringing Buddha to adulthood bro! Let's hope this male gets the job done over with the other member! And yes hopefully we shall achieve the goal.

Honestly I've had very very little problems with this species, once you've gotten your tanks built properly and understand their needs it's just like owning any other. Really I don't understand this reputation the idolo has.. as I've heard hundred of times how famous they are for death.

Maybe it's just my experience... maybe it's just some people don't bother doing any sort of research on what they're getting themselves into? But I've come to terms they're just like any other exotic pet... whether it's mantis or whatever, if you don't meet the requirements then your pet will suffer.  But in any case, this is a task I want to take on. 

On a side note though, I've got two pairs of double shield.. I know youre pretty fond of the sp. (Mantisman 230)
Thank you! Been saying this for years. People think throwing 3 bugs into a net cube and calling it a terrarium will yield results. It may work for the hardy species that are good at adapting, but to be successful across the board you must replicate natural habitats.

Glad to hear it sounds like you got some others involved finally in the Idolo effort as well. Congrats on your new nymphs, and best of luck all around. :D

Glad to hear it sounds like you got some others involved finally in the Idolo effort as well. Congrats on your new nymphs, and best of luck all around. :D
Me too! :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've already had molts from 3 of my 4 babies. Two of them molted THE day I got them... luckily I had temporary idolo homes ready and was in the process of making newer "idolo friendly" 32oz cups. (Also temporary.) The 3rd molted sometime this evening while I was at work.

Planning on trying to take some new photos of the crew tomorrow or Tuesday.

Latest posts