Learned something new; styrofoam cups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
So I'm pretty good with making sure my mantises are in the right size container for molting and I provide them with sticks and the necessities. I had my L4 Chinese mantises in the big Styrofoam cups and they fit fine. I knew the next molt though, they would need to be in a more appropriate sized container. About a couple days ago I noticed one of my mantids preparing himself for a molt so I took him out and put him on one of my indoor plants and I was able to watch him molt from beginning to end.

The next morning, I looked in the rest of the cups and another one of my mantids had molted. What blew my mind was the skin was hanging from the side of the cup instead of the branch that was in there. First I was shocked and relieved that I didn't have a mismolt situation on my hands but then very interested how the mantis was able to molt from the side of the Styrofoam cup. His hind legs were on the rim, so I'm sure that helped, but still, wow!

I was just happy that he molted fine, with no limbs torn or messed up.

So I'm pretty good with making sure my mantises are in the right size container for molting and I provide them with sticks and the necessities. I had my L4 Chinese mantises in the big Styrofoam cups and they fit fine. I knew the next molt though, they would need to be in a more appropriate sized container. About a couple days ago I noticed one of my mantids preparing himself for a molt so I took him out and put him on one of my indoor plants and I was able to watch him molt from beginning to end.

The next morning, I looked in the rest of the cups and another one of my mantids had molted. What blew my mind was the skin was hanging from the side of the cup instead of the branch that was in there. First I was shocked and relieved that I didn't have a mismolt situation on my hands but then very interested how the mantis was able to molt from the side of the Styrofoam cup. His hind legs were on the rim, so I'm sure that helped, but still, wow!

I was just happy that he molted fine, with no limbs torn or messed up.
I'm glad he survived! I can see how styro-foam would work for a smaller mantid, it has lots of ridges and cracks in it, and is squishy! I do think the hind legs being on the rim helped, but either way, very cool.

Latest posts