let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was meandering along a river around 10-11 at night and heard something fall from the top of some branches, after a few seconds I saw what looked like eyes bobbing around and screeching! An owl had apparently fallen from its perch across the river and was peeved at me, so it yelled at me for about 5 minutes, very cool and kinda spooky!

The last time I was on Sanibel, the place was overrun with Cuban anoles. Apart from the human lives lost, you've got to wonder what happens to the wildlife after a direct hit from a category 4 hurricane. The anoles on the ground would have been washed away, and the ones clinging to trees? Can they hang on during a 155mph wind gust? Will this make way for a different anole population? It might be interesting to see how the island redevelops. In any case, they'll have to restart a ferry service like they had in the 50s, before the causeway was built.
So this kind of astounds me, but the Sanibel Causeway is back open, primarily just for utility vehicles right now. I suspect they're using some workaround solutions for the time being.

I brew my own kombucha at home. I’ve been doing it about 12 years now. Yesterday I tried flavoring it in a new way with apple, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, and nutmeg. It tastes like apple pie in a glass! Fermented black tea is the base by the way.
My son makes it all the time, his is to sweet though, can you give recipe?

I donated blood for the first time in nearly a year yesterday
they were impressed that as someone who lived at sea level for a quarter century, the blood only took 7 minutes to be taken!
I am whipped from it though! I never had this problem in RI, but I'm glad to be able to help!!

I donated blood for the first time in nearly a year yesterday
they were impressed that as someone who lived at sea level for a quarter century, the blood only took 7 minutes to be taken!
I am whipped from it though! I never had this problem in RI, but I'm glad to be able to help!!
Lucky. Mine takes practically the entire time because of my crappy veins! I think it takes like 20 minutes for me.

My son makes it all the time, his is to sweet though, can you give recipe?
I make black tea with about 10 cups of water, 1.5 cups of sugar, and seven black tea bags. Ferment it at 70+ degrees for about 8-10 days depending on how sweet or acidic you want it. Your son may just need to leave his to ferment more time for the yeast to eat up the sugars.

I make black tea with about 10 cups of water, 1.5 cups of sugar, and seven black tea bags. Ferment it at 70+ degrees for about 8-10 days depending on how sweet or acidic you want it. Your son may just need to leave his to ferment more time for the yeast to eat up the sugars.
When I worked at the prison, the staff informed us about the potential hooch making skills of inmates. I guess, all you need is some fruit juice, sugar, and a bit of yeast.

fun fact the main reason moonshine and hooch are illegal is because fermentation produces both ethanol and methanol
excessive consumption of methanol (and for this compound, it doesn't take much) can lead to blindness and even death
commercial breweries, wineries, etc. have methods to detect and remove the methanol from their product, but home-brewers may not and there's really no way to check on them :)

Your son absolutely does not have to worry. Humans have been home brewing for thousands of years, plus the acetobacter in the kombucha quickly turn alcohol into vinegar in the process. Methanol is really only a danger if you start distilling spirits.