let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do not like Taylor Swift and a few friends and I like to make fun of her
today I was playing with some grass and I was like "better put up the anti-Taylor Swift fencing"

Heating supplies arrived. Now I have to wire things up. I didn’t buy crimpers. I’m planning on improvising with pliers or a vise.

Attachments

• CECE0721-6890-4BA0-B62A-5600EAEAC5E9.jpeg
    CECE0721-6890-4BA0-B62A-5600EAEAC5E9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
This reminds me, I need to purchase crimping pliers eventually. I would like to expand my animal room in the next few years and that will require heat tape.

I also need to learn how to use the pliers. That or burn my house down.

The crimping was tedious. In the future, I think I'll just solder the wire directly to the heat tape. I did give the heat tape a trial run. So far I'm a bit underwhelmed with the amount of heat it generates. I may end up connecting my thermostat to a heat mat instead.

Last edited:
The crimping was tedious. In the future, I think I'll just solder the wire directly to the heat tape. I did give the heat tape a trial run. So far I'm a bit underwhelmed with the amount of heat it generates. I may end up connecting my thermostat to a heat mat instead.
Was it because you smashed the wire instead of crimping?

Was it because you smashed the wire instead of crimping?
lol. "Smushing" rivets means crimping them. No, the connections are fine. It's the tape itself. It just doesn't get all that hot. Anything over 105 degrees is a fire hazard. I suspect that most heat tape users keep their snake bins in a room that's already pretty warm. If I wanted to keep my house at exotic pet temperatures, I wouldn't need supplemental heat.

lol. "Smushing" rivets means crimping them. No, the connections are fine. It's the tape itself. It just doesn't get all that hot. Anything over 105 degrees is a fire hazard. I suspect that most heat tape users keep their snake bins in a room that's already pretty warm. If I wanted to keep my house at exotic pet temperatures, I wouldn't need supplemental heat.
to be fair, heat tape is meant to be used on metal pipes. that's what it's originally designed for. Plastic is pretty insulative compared to many materials, and with all of the air space in that cup, you're gonna have some issues
let me do a simple demo. I suspect if I take a cup and make a small wire holder for it that makes contact with both the heat tape and the cup and runs across the cup's outer surface, the inner air within that cup will get substantially warmer than a bare cup sitting on the heat tape. I should have time to work on that later tonight or this week

Fire hazards yay!! ψ(`∇´)ψ

I just ordered a heat mat that would keep a Siberian Husky warm the night before the Iditarod. If that doesn't get my dubias up to optimal temperatures, I give up.

Just finished animal care for our local conservation center. I’ve got a soft spot for the spotted salamander. He’s sooo cute!

Other than that my feet are killing me.