let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go.

Attachments

• C2BC143A-5AFF-42C0-A592-917B671A05E8.jpeg
    C2BC143A-5AFF-42C0-A592-917B671A05E8.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 0
  • A66E5812-B75D-442E-AB24-461717CC5690.jpeg
    A66E5812-B75D-442E-AB24-461717CC5690.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 0
Pet shop managers tell their staff, "By the way, if anyone asks what kind of crickets we carry, just say they're banded." I would have bought some anyway. The second generation seems to be fine. Just noisy as all get out.
I've never heard of that. I do hope you're not feeding your mantises those crickets though.

Pet store feeders can be a little iffy. They'll do in a bind, but personally I wouldn't make pet stores my main source of feeders. No offense to pet store owners, but you'll get better quality feeders from dealers here on the forum. 🙂

Pet store feeders can be a little iffy. They'll do in a bind, but personally I wouldn't make pet stores my main source of feeders. No offense to pet store owners, but you'll get better quality feeders from dealers here on the forum. 🙂
I usually order from Ghann's! they're the best! But wolven pointed out that if you don't have 2954828 critters to feed, buying smaller quantities of bandeds from say Rainbow Mealworms is the better way to go

I usually order from Ghann's! they're the best! But wolven pointed out that if you don't have 2954828 critters to feed, buying smaller quantities of bandeds from say Rainbow Mealworms is the better way to go
I couldn't help but notice the green anoles as I was purusing the Rainbow Mealworms website. I've always wanted to keep some of those. Plain old Florida anoles. Back in the late '60s, they used to sell them on little leashes here at the Ohio State Fair. I'm sure they died by the hundreds. Nobody knew how to take care of them. Just for starters, the how-to books of that era made no mention of UV light or calcium supplements. Those weren't even things in the hobby yet.

Last edited:
so this week has been really strenuous for me
on Monday, roommate A told roommate B he had covid, so I started isolating because school policy right? Well a few things happened after that
roommate B got mad because she thought roommate A ate her kielbasa and was like "I don't have money for a new one". First of all IDK why she sent her disdain to the group chat: I'm a vegan! anywho, I went out and bought her a new kielbasa. then, as I was rummaging through the vegetable drawer, I FOUND THE KIELBASA! JESUS
then yesterday happens. roommate A went to the hospital and it turns out he doesn't have covid... ugh. then he got pissed about something else and got blackout drunk and broke a bunch of furniture upstairs
then, today he throws cigarettes in our kitchen sink! we have a lot of plants in the house and I'm worried about TMV

so this week has been really strenuous for me
on Monday, roommate A told roommate B he had covid, so I started isolating because school policy right? Well a few things happened after that
roommate B got mad because she thought roommate A ate her kielbasa and was like "I don't have money for a new one". First of all IDK why she sent her disdain to the group chat: I'm a vegan! anywho, I went out and bought her a new kielbasa. then, as I was rummaging through the vegetable drawer, I FOUND THE KIELBASA! JESUS
then yesterday happens. roommate A went to the hospital and it turns out he doesn't have covid... ugh. then he got @!$#@$ about something else and got blackout drunk and broke a bunch of furniture upstairs
then, today he throws cigarettes in our kitchen sink! we have a lot of plants in the house and I'm worried about TMV
All this fuss over a piece of meat? I wonder if she was hiding her kielbasa in the vegetable drawer to keep roommate A out of it. Someone stashed it in the drawer.

Super excited to announce I am going to be attempting to recreate Alex's gutloading experiment this summer with grizzled mantis nymphs! I believe this will be a good way to introduce myself to rearing as well. Grizzled mantises in their younger stages are known for being delicate and I want to see if I can possibly up the survival rate.

My newest addiction as of now is watching farrier work. It's so interesting to see them trim down the horse's hooves and know exactly how the shape needs to be.

My newest addiction as of now is watching farrier work. It's so interesting to see them trim down the horse's hooves and know exactly how the shape needs to be.
Same here. My parents owned an Arabian stud farm and I used to watch the farrier trim and shoe them... especially when he worked on mine. Now I've started watching a guy on YouTube do the same. It's very fascinating. 😁

My experience with Shelfordella lateralis roaches is similar to pet store crickets. They do better in the second generation.

Attachments

• F787FA0F-64A4-4C90-B11C-2A68FFA9867B.jpeg
    F787FA0F-64A4-4C90-B11C-2A68FFA9867B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
We've already established that pet store crickets are the pits. They usually live long enough to lay eggs, however. I guess they've been quarantined from the cricket virus, because this second generation seems to be a whole lot healthier. I hear chirping, so at least one male has reached maturity. We'll see how much longer this batch lasts. I've put my little egg laying container in there so I can start the cycle all over again.
I made the above statement on 02/26/23. Since then, I've been working on my third cricket generation. The first chirp occurred about an hour ago. That means that at 90F, it takes Acheta domesticus exactly two months to go through it's complete lifecycle. The second generation remained in it's adult stage (chirping) for a lot longer than I had anticipated. At lower temperatures, I suspect I could keep the crickets alive in their adult stage for a month alone. So that's one month of growing, and one month of harvesting, per generation. If I wanted available feeders at all times, I suppose I could have a second colony going. Right now I'm filling in the voids with roaches. Tarantulas seem to go though fairly extensive fasting periods anyway. It's that whole pre-molt, post-molt thing.

Last edited: