let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the above statement on 02/26/23. Since then, I've been working on my third cricket generation. The first chirp occurred about an hour ago. That means that at 90F, it takes Acheta domesticus exactly two months to go through it's complete lifecycle. The second generation remained in it's adult stage (chirping) for a lot longer than I had anticipated. At lower temperatures, I suspect I could keep the crickets alive in their adult stage for a month alone. So that's one month of growing, and one month of harvesting, per generation. If I wanted available feeders at all times, I suppose I could have a second colony going. Right now I'm filling in the voids with roaches. Tarantulas seem to go though fairly extensive fasting periods anyway. It's that whole pre-molt, post-molt thing.
It's best to "fill in the void" with roaches anyways. Mantises require a varied diet to thrive.

My roaches love Repashy Bug Burger, but it ain't cheap. Today, I didn't have enough Bug Burger left to mix up a full batch, so I added some inexpensive poultry feed to it. So about 50% Bug Burger and 50% chick feed. My roaches seem to like this new mixture just as much as pure Repashy.

Last edited:
I found an interesting idea on FB. The inventor refers to it as the “Anti-Male-Eating” Collar. Try to picture a little paper dog funnel around the female mantis's neck. It blocks her peripheral vision and, I suspect, makes it harder for her to reach around and snag her gentleman caller.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/482099469492731/user/100007448357428/
The FB post linked to an article with yet another idea. Let's call it the raptorial immobilizer. I actually suggested the arm restraint technique over 10 years ago, but that Malakyoma dude had a conniption.

https://mantidforum.net/threads/experiment-f01-a-shot-of-flies.29526/#post-242866

Attachments

• immobilizing.jpg
    immobilizing.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I found an interesting idea on FB. The inventor refers to it as the “Anti-Male-Eating” Collar. Try to picture a little paper dog funnel around the female mantis's neck. It blocks her peripheral vision and, I suspect, makes it harder for her to reach around and snag her gentleman caller.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/482099469492731/user/100007448357428/
The FB post linked to an article with yet another idea. Let's call it the raptorial immobilizer. I actually suggested the arm restraint technique over 10 years ago, but that Malakyoma dude had a conniption.

https://mantidforum.net/threads/experiment-f01-a-shot-of-flies.29526/#post-242866
Oh, lol yeah, we call that the cone of shame. They do get a little distressed, but eventually settle down after a few minutes. I've heard of mantises breeding successfully with it.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd document the full text here for the collar. Forums are better for archiving. Who knows if I'll ever find it again on FB. This is Andrea Mercado's idea. I asked him why the method is only suitable for larger species. I haven't heard back yet.

"Wanted to share a new breeding method I’ve come up with that I’ve been using for a little over a year now. I call it the “Anti-Male-Eating” Collar! (Or “cone of shame”) Here’s 2 different orchid pairings from last night as an example
❤️

[What is it?]
Just a paper collar made out of printer paper or flashcard paper so the female can’t get to the male. They sometimes get annoyed at first when putting it on but shortly forget it’s there and don’t mind at all! It’s placed at the base of their upper bodies underneath their arms so it’s not hazardous. This way if I’m too busy to monitor them I can sleep at night knowing I can trust the male will still be safe and in one piece in the morning.

[How does it work?]
It prevents her from seeing him and wanting to turn around to get him. Can’t make it too big or else they’ll get annoyed they can’t crawl. After the male is finished and doesn’t do anything for 2-3 hours after, I’ll gently nudge him and he’ll jump off. After I separate them I immediately remove her collar. (Video of removal included)

[Is it safe?]
Yes! Though you can’t make the hole in the middle TOO big or else it can actually become hazardous if they manage to put their feet or arm through it then they can get stuck or uncomfortable. Make the center hole not too small but big enough that it fits perfectly around their body. Be very gentle when taking off.

[What are the cons?]
Only con is the female can’t preen her feet and that’s often the time she’ll see the male and eat him. But because they’re upside down in the same spot for hours they forget it’s there and don’t mind it at all. However this method won’t work for smaller mantids like boxers, spinies, Creobroter, etc. This method only works on medium and large mantids like orchids, Hierodula, Rhombodera, etc.

[Should I try this?]
Feel free it’s up to you! From my experience I’ve never lost a male when using this method and often use it when I don’t have many males and need them alive. It works 90% of the time. I say 90% incase the female manages to take it off or eat the male. (Have had females take it off before when used with flimsy paper). Some breeders have already tried this method before and it saves their males! If you try this for the first time use regular or printer paper to figure out the correct size to ensure the comfort and safety of your female! (Bottle cap used as stencil for orchid)."

Attachments

• collar1.jpg
    collar1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 0
  • collar2.jpg
    collar2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
  • collar3.jpg
    collar3.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 0
  • collar4.jpg
    collar4.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 0
  • collar5.jpg
    collar5.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 0
  • collar6.jpg
    collar6.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just thought I'd document the full text here for the collar. Forums are better for archiving. Who knows if I'll ever find it again on FB. This is Andrea Mercado's idea. I asked him why the method is only suitable for larger species. I haven't heard back yet.

"Wanted to share a new breeding method I’ve come up with that I’ve been using for a little over a year now. I call it the “Anti-Male-Eating” Collar! (Or “cone of shame”) Here’s 2 different orchid pairings from last night as an example
❤️

[What is it?]
Just a paper collar made out of printer paper or flashcard paper so the female can’t get to the male. They sometimes get annoyed at first when putting it on but shortly forget it’s there and don’t mind at all! It’s placed at the base of their upper bodies underneath their arms so it’s not hazardous. This way if I’m too busy to monitor them I can sleep at night knowing I can trust the male will still be safe and in one piece in the morning.

[How does it work?]
It prevents her from seeing him and wanting to turn around to get him. Can’t make it too big or else they’ll get annoyed they can’t crawl. After the male is finished and doesn’t do anything for 2-3 hours after, I’ll gently nudge him and he’ll jump off. After I separate them I immediately remove her collar. (Video of removal included)

[Is it safe?]
Yes! Though you can’t make the hole in the middle TOO big or else it can actually become hazardous if they manage to put their feet or arm through it then they can get stuck or uncomfortable. Make the center hole not too small but big enough that it fits perfectly around their body. Be very gentle when taking off.

[What are the cons?]
Only con is the female can’t preen her feet and that’s often the time she’ll see the male and eat him. But because they’re upside down in the same spot for hours they forget it’s there and don’t mind it at all. However this method won’t work for smaller mantids like boxers, spinies, Creobroter, etc. This method only works on medium and large mantids like orchids, Hierodula, Rhombodera, etc.

[Should I try this?]
Feel free it’s up to you! From my experience I’ve never lost a male when using this method and often use it when I don’t have many males and need them alive. It works 90% of the time. I say 90% incase the female manages to take it off or eat the male. (Have had females take it off before when used with flimsy paper). Some breeders have already tried this method before and it saves their males! If you try this for the first time use regular or printer paper to figure out the correct size to ensure the comfort and safety of your female! (Bottle cap used as stencil for orchid)."
Yeah it’s just a cone of shame. I’ve got one made for the H. majuscula I’ll be breeding. I can’t imagine why someone would harp on this method, but I think it’s obvious it doesn’t hurt the mantis.

Yeah it’s just a cone of shame. I’ve got one made for the H. majuscula I’ll be breeding. I can’t imagine why someone would harp on this method, but I think it’s obvious it doesn’t hurt the mantis.
Funny. Why do I doubt that you even knew about it? Anyway, who's harping? I would say that fellow on FB is informing.

Last edited:
Funny. Why do I doubt that you even knew about it? Anyway, who's harping? I would say that fellow on FB is informing.
?? I learned about this method months ago. We call it the cone of shame in MantisMeet lol.

As for the harping, I checked out your raptor immobilization suggestion. I just don't want anyone trying to shoot down the cone when it a perfectly safe method just because it counts as interfering with a natural process.

Latest posts