letting my chinese mantis male live in my garden>?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
for the next 2 months of his life would it be ok if i let it go in my yard?hs been adult for a few months allready.he keeps on wanting to get out of his sweetie jar..its like there never happy unless they have a massive container .there's enough food in my yard for it...just wondering if it will be warm enough for him at night?how cold can this species go with out dieing.

i let him go on a plant and he cought a bee..lol..hes eaten it now..1st time iv seen them catch stuf in the wild..amazing .iv brought him back in for now untill i get your views on this.

I'm not sure about the legal allowances in the U.K. for this, but, assuming the temperature where you live right now is above 70, there should be no problem. In the U.S. these guys are all over the place. Of course, it's not gonna be as safe as in its cage and death is a possibility.

I'm not sure about the legal allowances in the U.K. for this, but, assuming the temperature where you live right now is above 70, there should be no problem. In the U.S. these guys are all over the place. Of course, it's not gonna be as safe as in its cage and death is a possibility.
well night time temps are some times around the 60s so mayby its a bad idea :p :rolleyes:

Chinese mantids can survive our spring, summer and autumn down here in the south of uk [SIZE=8pt]edit[/SIZE] with ease, i believe there is still not enough time for them to reproduce or even deposit eggs but in the right micro climate its possible, obviously both sexes would be needed but you know that would also be illegal, macro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinese mantids can survive our spring, summer and autumn down here in the south of uk [SIZE=8pt]edit[/SIZE] with ease, i believe there is still not enough time for them to reproduce or even deposit eggs but in the right micro climate its possible, obviously both sexes would be needed but you know that would also be illegal, macro.
thanks for the info

Be carefull, I had the same idea and intent you had.

Ok well I raised this little guy from an ooth. Gave many of his brethren to friends after many good times and achieving the last molt I thought it would be nice to let him live out his remaining days in freedom in a bush just outside my place. There were always plenty of moths and butterflies in it so I thought food would not be an issue. I got the ooth from a local garden store so I knew he would be fine in this climate and so I didn't worry.

Well it was about 9pm (dark which is why I missed the monster in waiting) and I found a nice place to let him go. Watched him for a minute and then thought, it would be nice to take some pics. In the minutes it took me to run up to my room and get back I found the horror. :eek: There was a HUGE Lynx spider taking residence about 10 inches from where I let my little guy go. He must have climbed up a little bit and got pounced on. :(

Well I thought I have my camera, might as well take some pics.

Be carefull, I had the same idea and intent you had.Ok well I raised this little guy from an ooth. Gave many of his brethren to friends after many good times and achieving the last molt I thought it would be nice to let him live out his remaining days in freedom in a bush just outside my place. There were always plenty of moths and butterflies in it so I thought food would not be an issue. I got the ooth from a local garden store so I knew he would be fine in this climate and so I didn't worry.
yer i saw your thread..no spiders in the uk could take on a mantid...the biggest one we have is this and look what my mantid done to it..lol

1433536340_c743a00815_o.jpg

Lol, i`d say stuff the laws lol, its a lone male, unless he suddenly changes sex and turns parthenogenetic aswell <_<

Latest posts