Like a leg of lamb!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Caught this little baby today for my mantis, can't remember what it is though, really glad it did not fly into my forehead, it would of put me out!

MVC-340F.jpg

Here is shot of it's underneath, anyone know what it is?

MVC-344F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a cicada! I wish we had them around here, they make great food for just about everything.

Yes, that's a cicada. I haven't seen any recently, just their shed skins, but when they do appear, they come in numbers and eat everything in sight. Wonderful mantis food too, provided you are able to catch them. ;)

awww poor thing
poor guy indeed! some cicada species spend up to 17 years as grubs (please correct me if i'm wrong). though most species i think is only a few years. imagine spending so long as a grub, and then finally emerging wild and free!... only to be thrown straight into the arms of a mantis :eek: :eek: :p i would be pretty gutted (no pun intended).

i guess there are worse ways to die ;)

Even if they do spend a long time underground, I believe they emerge in the thousands and only live for a couple of weeks.

Even if they do spend a long time underground, I believe they emerge in the thousands and only live for a couple of weeks.
That is correct :mellow:

There are some horror stories about hundreds of cicadas converging on clothes drying on a clothesline. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct :mellow: There are some horror stories about hundreds of cicadas converging on clothes drying on a clothesline. :lol:
Actually it is true but not of all species. Periodical cicadas spend that long in the ground before emerging all at once. The other kinds come out every year and are known as annual cicadas. I used to be fascinated by cicadas when I was a kid. I could find them in the ground right before they emerge due to the small hole they make in the ground. Love watching them molt too. I grew up in the midwest and there were plenty to find.

:eek: Now that u mention it, I had the same horror story, I remember when my boys were young, I would find them on my hanging clothes, I used to take them in the house after putting in clothes basket and screaming :lol: like a wild woman when they popped out at me! If they don't last long I hope I find some more, but must go put on my motorcycle helmet before I try to catch them, or maybe I will just hang up some clothes :lol: . This one was on the eve of the house by my hummingbird feeder, at first I thought it was a hummingbird, their about the same size!

There are a LOT in East Malaysia but they are way to huge for my mantids they're size vary from 2cm to 10cm. Most of them are bigger than 4cm.

I love cicadas, we have a species here that makes a very nice song.

Males are probably not a very filling food, though. They're more or less hollow(pretty much living resonance chambers). :lol:

just to make myself clear, i was not in any way berating the feeding of cicadas to mantids, i just just pointing out the pathos in the situation. if we had cicadas here in the uk i would feed them to my mantids in a heartbeat! they look nice and chunky :D

You do have a species(Cicadetta montana). :p

Although, considering its extreme rarity and the fact it is endangered, I wouldn't feed them to your mantids. :lol:

I should get some sleep, starting to be a know-it-all. <_<

Caught this little baby today for my mantis, can't remember what it is though, really glad it did not fly into my forehead, it would of put me out!
Lol I did get knocked down by one of these when I was about 11. I was running through tall cattails and one swooped down and hit me smack in the middle of the forehead! I saw it at the last second and tried to stop but all that did was put me off balance and WHAM! Flat on my back. :lol:

Tyler Ferret Lord was right about the cicadas being so hollow, I don't know if the one I found is male but I sprayed him and opened him up...there was nothing inside of him...I tried to get some pics but the quality is pathetic.

Cicada001.jpg

Cicada002.jpg

If it helps, all the black is nothingness :p