little flys? ######?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwpatton

Reaction score
so i went to add some crickets to my Mantis aquarium .. and water the plants and stuff... and i noticed that there is these little flys flying around in the tank... look like a forum of Nat's almost... but dunno where it could be from any ideas? are they harmful to my mantid ?

Yeah, they're fine.. I use soil/peat moss and get those a lot, they don't do any harm!

yah i have a soil in the bottom of the aquarium ... im also thinking about downsizing him from the 14 Gallon Tall Aquarium ... to something much much smaller, as i always seem him the top, and only time he goes to the bottom is when i spray or pour water in and then he just lets go and falls to the ground ...

so i dont know .... are the mantids a Night Stalker/Hunter ? is that why i never see him go on the hunt?

Most of us keep an environment that is ideal for our mantids to grow, such as warm temps and extra humidity. but this is also good for most insects. It's winter, many will be looking for a place to stay alive. Mantids are referred to as "organic pest control". Let your manits take care of em, if they can get in the tank that is.

Side note, your mantis falling from the top of a "tall" tank is never a good thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
if you leave their leftover foods at the bottom of the tank then it's probably phorid flies. do they seem to move in short bursts of speed? they are a little biger than hydei flies. Extra food for your animals lol =)

Latest posts