looking for advice on housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy

Reaction score
Just became a supporter and will be receiving my first mantis soon, I have a couple plastic containers that are approx 1gal each, will these work out OK? too small?too big?

What do you suggest? space isn't an issue for me if that matters

Do you have any info on the mantis you are recieving? How tall and wide is the container in inches? It'll work out, don't worry.

to help we need to know what species ;)

You will most likely be getting a young nymph so you will not need a large container. Deli cups work great!

Not sure what I am receiving, letting Rebecca @ mantisplace pick whats best for my beginner mantis. I went to the deli in grocery store and the gave me several containers which I think will be great :) They are the large sized ones, I assume are 32 oz. Super excited for the new arrival to come :)

Plastic is the way to go if you can,they tend to stick to that and not get hurt as much in softer materials,as opposed to glass and metal. I start them out in those tiny 5$ critter keepers,and the only issue with that is the fruitflies are smart and small enough to get between the bars in the lid,but pre-gluing in some thin mesh under the lid solves that issue,or just try dropping flies in more than once a day. I even pre glue in some sticks and just re-use different size cages for nymphs ect. after washing them out,as a baby they won't take up any space tho lol

The good ole 32 oz deli cups with vented lids are excellent for small mantids or nymphs. Too much space with nymphs and you will have trouble with feeding. Of course almost anything will work, just some things work better than others.

Thank for all the advice, going to try and find some screen and adapt the lid to it this weekend.

I have a 6x12, 2.5 gallon, glass terrarium..I would assume that is too big for a small creo. pictipennis nymph? I currently have him in a small plastic cup with a mesh lid, I just want to make sure he has enough space and not too much...

Latest posts