Looking for mantids in California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois15

Reaction score
Im going down to Shasta Lake in California, and Im going to try and look for some mantids while down there (if there are any) So first of all, are there any near there? Is it the right time of year? Where should I look? Will I be finding adults or nymphs? Thanks for the help!!!!

Do you ever find mantids out in the wild this time of year? Where at?

Umm, you should be able to find them, but it's not that easy. They're still pretty small still. Where? That's a good question because I never actually went to look. I just find them in my back yard and random places. Late summer is really easy.

i live in socal, i looked in nature for a long time never found mantis. i gave up stopped looking and i found 2 ooths in my backyard while doing yardwork. they always seem to find you not the other way around. but im sure if you looked hard enough in the right places you will find some.

Since they're small you'd want to get a nice sweep net and familiarize yourself with its use. If you find a decent field you should be able to catch quite a few. If you're just visually searching for them it could take a very long time.

Yeah I never went looking for a mantid and found them. Always just a happy accident. I found a chinese mantid in my backyard not too long ago, about 2 inches long. Just happened to fall off a branch when I went too close to it. It was weird because he fell with his arms over his head looking like a twig.

Never noticed that before in my other mantids, though it makes sense.

I am willing to bet he is next gen from an ooth I let go in my backyard last summer.

Latest posts