Low(er) Humidity Mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to keep a mantid in a terrarium with succulents, so I'm looking for ones that can handle humidity as low as 50%. Any leads? The only possible options I've found are the gambian spotted flower mantis, the texas unicorn mantis, and the budwing mantis.

Doing a quick look at caresheets here are a few more for your list...

There should be many others too, like Stagmomantis carolina (Carolina mantis) and other native species should be in the near 50% range (even though I can't find a caresheet, I've owned them and haven't had an issue with humidity when it is around 50%).

It's said there are 28 species wild in the US alone and with exception to the desert/swamp/bog species most should in that range too (confirm by looking them up) - but as you did not set your profile location I have no idea where you are to offer further help. I hope the list helps though. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! I'm from Wisconsin, so local mantids aren't much of an option.
Your welcome. ;)

There are wild native mantises all the way to at least Anchorage, Alaska (see number 33 on this list of Alaskan insects, also in the comments on this page). So you should have some in your state too as your climate is much warmer, you may just have to look in the rural country areas though to find them.

As Jay mentioned the Mantis religiosa (European Mantis) -- 40 - 65% might be a good choice as it is native to your state and even has a range above/below the humidity you want so you have a good tolerance level available.

popa spurca, pseudoharpax virescens, and pseudocreobotra wahlbergii dont mind low humidity

budwings need lots of water at L1 but afterwards do fine without it

mios also love it dry

iris oratoria also like dry conditions

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I've lived in a rural area all my life, and oddly I've never seen a mantis. I'm having a tough time deciding between thw budwing, walhbergii, dessicata, and lineola. Any insight as to which would be best for a beginner who would like the possibility of breeding them and wants a showy display animal as well?

EDIT: I also plan to use banana roaches as the feeders (one the mantis is large enough), if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great info, everyone! I've lived in a rural area all my life, and oddly I've never seen a mantis. I'm having a tough time deciding between thw budwing, walhbergii, dessicata, and lineola. Any insight as to which would be best for a beginner who would like the possibility of breeding them and wants a showy display animal as well?

EDIT: I also plan to use banana roaches as the feeders (one the mantis is large enough), if that makes a difference.
You should have come across some by now then. Perhaps they are hiding out on you, or like many areas the populations are down (same here, only seen 4 in the wild the last few years - but I wasn't trying to find them either).

The best from your list for a beginner would likely be the Budwing mantis it is a great beginner species. As agent A mentioned though L1 Budwings need lots of water, so keep those separate or get later instar ones and you should be fine. Regarding using banana roaches as feeders, you can always use the roach nymphs - as the Budwing is a small species.

You should have come across some by now then. Perhaps they are hiding out on you, or like many areas the populations are down (same here, only seen 4 in the wild the last few years - but I wasn't trying to find them either).

The best from your list for a beginner would likely be the Budwing mantis it is a great beginner species. As agent A mentioned though L1 Budwings need lots of water, so keep those separate or get later instar ones and you should be fine. Regarding using banana roaches as feeders, you can always use the roach nymphs - as the Budwing is a small species.
Great! I think the budwing would be a good fit for my desired enclosure. I think I'm actually going to go with lobster roaches instead of the banana roaches, as they seem incredibly easy. Can you keep L1 budwings together? If you have any advice on a good roach colony container size for feeding 2-4 mantids, I'd be glad to hear it! I've only ever seen one mantis around me, and that was at a friend's house who hatched an ooth outside for his garden.

Great! I think the budwing would be a good fit for my desired enclosure. I think I'm actually going to go with lobster roaches instead of the banana roaches, as they seem incredibly easy. Can you keep L1 budwings together? If you have any advice on a good roach colony container size for feeding 2-4 mantids, I'd be glad to hear it! I've only ever seen one mantis around me, and that was at a friend's house who hatched an ooth outside for his garden.
I was thinking of another species earlier regarding size - Budwing males get about 1 1/2", and females about 2 3/4" in size so pretty good sized really. ;)

You can keep the Budwing nymphs together if you provide plenty of space and food until the 4th instar, L4. So you have plenty of time to get them to your terrarium. Here is the caresheet and more details about Budwings.

Regarding roaches I have no idea as I can't keep them (my wife's orders). So I keep culture fruit flies, crickets, mealworms, attempting houseflies, and various other insects - and soon moths. :D So someone else can help you with that, if nothing else start a new topic about the roaches for more responses.

Latest posts