Lower confidence due to one claw?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShieldMantid1997

Reaction score
My L3 O. gracilis seems to not use his right claw for anything. He keeps it bent at all times. He hasn't tried to attempt at catching food, instead he runs away or avoids the prey. I got him yesterday so i don't know the last time he ate but he doesn't look full at all. I was wondering, can a limp claw lower the confidence of catching food as in he wont go after larger food and only small? He was avoiding moths a little smaller than him when my L4 ghost is over here eating moths a tad bit bigger than himself. Or am i jus over reacting and should just lower the size of his prey? :huh:

-thanks

Possibly. I have never read any research on it but I have noticed the same thing a time or two. Try handfeed with some forceps for awhile.

I tried but he didn't want it, my theory is that he/she is preparing for a molt because i read that it will try to be small so its easier then eat a lot once molted. Does that sound reasonable to you? Oh and it's L2 so it needs fruit flies and would forceps squish it? i tried with a moth slightly smaller than the mantis but wasn't interested. Same with a weird green bug half its size.

Heres a size comparison with my hand.

DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small chinese nymph that has a bad back leg from when he was born. He won't catch his own food so I hve to use tweezers on fruit flies. I usually end up killing the fly but I put it close to his mouth until he gets a taste and grabs it himself. It's a slow process but possible. He eats it very slow which may have something to do with the fly not moving but he should eat some at least

I have impaled small roaches and fruit flies on a pin or needle for hand feeding ,because I find it difficult to hold tweezers closed for more than 30 seconds. I have unsteady hands. :mellow: Also, some of my mantids have been frightened of tweezers and tongs that are wider than thier prey.

Thank you guys but i tried putting it under his nose and no interest, he walks away. Thanks for all the help so far!

Latest posts