Making a Flytrap Terrarium HELP!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3" ought to be fine for those but look at the rhizome when you pull them out, if it is bigger than current growth suggests then feel free to step up a size. They look healthy, get them out in the sun and they should do well for you.

And don't mess with the traps! The acid hypersensitive response that closes the traps deteriorates the trap quickly- each is really only designed to catch prey a half dozen times or so.
Oh, I know! It always bugs me when I see little kids poke their fingers into the traps at the store. Thank goodness their "spines" aren't really sharp, or we'd all have lost a finger! (I admit to triggering a venus flytrap at least once. :stuart: I saved my pennies and bought one when I was littler. It died. :wacko: )

3" ought to be fine for those but look at the rhizome when you pull them out, if it is bigger than current growth suggests then feel free to step up a size. They look healthy, get them out in the sun and they should do well for you.
Glad to hear that you think they look healthy! :) I tried to be a good plant mommy and only fed them small flies and fruitflies.

Plant Dr. Tony C, I hope they aren't having trouble. Months before dormancy their traps stopped growing out right. They were small, versus the large ones they had when I bought them. The would be mishapen and have indents, or be curled to the side. The only ones that ever opened were hesitant to close, and only a couple of them would close around food.

Might have been a problem with their care at the time, or you may have just been seeing the early stages of dormancy. Late in the year they tend to change from an upright growth pattern to a low rosette, the newer traps are often smaller and become "sluggish" as you described. Whatever the case may be they look ready for a new year of strong growth now.

Okay, so... take my plants, place them outside in a tray of water... That seems too easy! :p
You can only use distilled or reverse osmosis water. tap or bottled water will usually kill them. there are minerals in most types of tap water that are bad for carnivorous plants. the water in some areas is ok, though. check with the local water people. I believe the water is ok if the disolved solid level is under 50 ppm. if that's too much hassle, than just use filtered water to be safe. A very mature plant may tolerate the water, but young or new ones most likely can't.

the humidity was probably not the problem, as mine are growing outside in southern california humidity. :lol: most likely the water and sunlight. also it's not anything to be worried about if the plants don't look good in dormancy.

also carnivorous plants do better if you purchase from a reliable source. this is why they have a reputation to be hard to grow; the ones from hardware stores are weakened by the conditions there. www.cobraplant.com is great in my experience, and it's near you in oregon. www.flytrapstore.com is the best VFT place I know, and is also in oregon. (you guys are so lucky up in oregon)

If that sounds complicated, read the care sheets on cobra plant. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only use distilled or reverse osmosis water.
Not necessarily true, given ScienceGirl's location the water is likely to be safe. I lived in the same are and was quite successful using the local tap water. A TDS meter is a good investment.

also carnivorous plants do better if you purchase from a reliable source. this is why they have a reputation to be hard to grow; the ones from hardware stores are weakened by the conditions there.
I took these pics last summer when I was packing for the move. Some are from "reputable growers", some are "weakened hardware store plants". Care to tell me which are which?

DSC04679Large.jpg

DSC04678Large.jpg

DSC04677Large.jpg

DSC04676Large.jpg

DSC04675Large.jpg

DSC04674Large.jpg

I never would have guessed that there would be some flytrap providers to the whole US right in my state! Lucky me, lucky me, look at what I'm dripping with... carnivorous plants! (From the movie Annie) :p

I love the really big traps! I want to take them all!!! :D

I meant the VFT care sheets on cobraplant.com :blush:

Tony C, on 23 Apr 2013 - 19:33, said:

I took these pics last summer when I was packing for the move. Some are from "reputable growers", some are "weakened hardware store plants". Care to tell me which are which?
I was speaking from my experience as a newbie. you are a much better grower than me.

PS. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT DARLINGTONIA?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I never would have guessed that there would be some flytrap providers to the whole US right in my state! Lucky me, lucky me, look at what I'm dripping with... carnivorous plants! (From the movie Annie) :p

My school just did that play!

PS. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT DARLINGTONIA?!?!
That one came from Jerry Addington of Courting Frogs Nursery. He generally does not deal directly with the public but his plants can be bought through Karen at Willow Creek Nursery in Snohomish, WA or a handful of other dealers.

You are in a great area for carnivores, Flytrap Store is in Ashland, Cook's in Eugene, Sarracenia Northwest in Portland, Willow Creek and Courting Frogs in the Seattle area and California Carnivores is near San Francisco. There are probably some others I am forgetting, there is a very large and active carnivore community on the west coast.

I have known Jerry from courting frogs for years, since his days working at the indoor sun shop in Fremont! He has an amazing greenhouse, and very enviable Sarracenia hybridization program

My plants love tap water that is like a week old then pine cones left it in for a day or two for acidity. Or rain water an a few pine needles/pinecones soaked in them.....they seem to grow a lot better and stronger....

Yeah, the pine needle peat mix works nicely ;) (but if I didn't have a readily available supply of pine needles/cones.....would anything with a lower PH do? (Like vinegar? Or citric acid ir something?)

Latest posts