Making a Flytrap Terrarium HELP!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the pine needle peat mix works nicely ;) (but if I didn't have a readily available supply of pine needles/cones.....would anything with a lower PH do? (Like vinegar? Or citric acid ir something?)
I've never heard of a pine needle mix but I assume that is what they grow in in natural forests. I just use peat/perlite.

I've never heard of a pine needle mix but I assume that is what they grow in in natural forests. I just use peat/perlite.
Peat moss itself is quite acidic
Yeah, the pine needle peat mix works nicely ;) (but if I didn't have a readily available supply of pine needles/cones.....would anything with a lower PH do? (Like vinegar? Or citric acid ir something?)
I meant the VFT care sheets on cobraplant.com :blush:

Tony C, on 23 Apr 2013 - 19:33, said:

I was speaking from my experience as a newbie. you are a much better grower than me.

PS. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT DARLINGTONIA?!?!
Okay, so I put my venus flytraps outside in the evening for two days, and left it in the shade for mornings and afternoons. Then I let it have full sun all day for two more days. It had plenty of water.

But... It's leaves took on a red hue... Did it get "sunburned"?

Okay, so I put my venus flytraps outside in the evening for two days, and left it in the shade for mornings and afternoons. Then I let it have full sun all day for two more days. It had plenty of water.

But... It's leaves took on a red hue... Did it get "sunburned"?
No, that is perfectly normal. Most varieties will take on some degree of red coloring with proper lighting, and there are even all red forms like 'Red Dragon', 'Red Piranha', 'Pink Venus', etc.

No, that is perfectly normal. Most varieties will take on some degree of red coloring with proper lighting, and there are even all red forms like 'Red Dragon', 'Red Piranha', 'Pink Venus', etc.
Thank you all for everything!!!

My three flytraps, after getting nice sun-therapy for several months, have begun to send out new traps very quickly. The youngest of the traps, still maturing and growing out of the cloister of the center, are larger than the fully grown traps of them when they were indoor living and had refridgerated dormancies. The fully matured and opened traps have coloration on the inside and trigger hairs - things that have been absent for months and months!!! The plant is a robust green, instead of the sickly, pale shade that it used to wear.

You have revived my plants!!! Thank you all so much!

--ScienceGirl

Last edited by a moderator:
Carnivorous plants don't need a nutrient rich substrate. They can thrive in plane moss. They cannot be watered with tap water and its substrate SHOULD have NO nutrients they get they're nutrients from catching insects.

Latest posts