Mantid Cabinet / Enclosures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Considering mantid care and safety, would you build this?

• No, it's not safe for the mantids.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe. It seems safe enough for them.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, safety should be no problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Agree with everything except earwax. Mantids will want to use the lid most of the time so do not deny that option. It's looking good. How do you get those tanks so cheap?
Petland in Tinley Park, IL sells them for $44.99 each. I talked to the manager and told her I was going to buy 5 more, she's going to put an order out for me and discount each one by $5. $40 each. This is, of course only if I buy the light fixtures at regular price, 5 of those also. Right now, I'm holding off on buying 5 more because it's silly to buy all of that when I don't even have mantids to put into them. Also, going to central america for 21 days in May.

Petland in Tinley Park, IL sells them for $44.99 each. I talked to the manager and told her I was going to buy 5 more, she's going to put an order out for me and discount each one by $5. $40 each. This is, of course only if I buy the light fixtures at regular price, 5 of those also. Right now, I'm holding off on buying 5 more because it's silly to buy all of that when I don't even have mantids to put into them. Also, going to central america for 21 days in May.
They seem to be more expensive when I saw them. That might be for a larger one though.

Phase II picture added today

Added $40 to the cost of building materials (Paint, molding, adjustable shelf brackets, hooks for misting bottles, primer)

Thank you Rick. So far the best part has been hanging out with my dad and just relaxing, listening to some nice music and painting. It'll be done and the final photo will be ready tomorrow night. Happy Easter :)
I wish I was more handy with things like this. I can do about anything on a car but ask me to cut a board in a straight line and it comes out crooked. Besides, the wife would not be happy if I came home with something like that. I get away with the 5 shelf unit but that's it.

Alright, it's completed. Phase V: Top Secret will be completed next week. This has been entered into the contest. Thank you all for your advice and help! I appreciate it!

What do you have in those plastic containers? I hope not mantids or ooths as they are WAY too short.

In the bottom right, is that fruit flies? If so you don't need to pack it so full of stuff. I have never figured out why people do that. I dont' put anything in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you have in those plastic containers? I hope not mantids or ooths as they are WAY too short. In the bottom right, is that fruit flies? If so you don't need to pack it so full of stuff. I have never figured out why people do that. I dont' put anything in there.
The 12oz deli's have 1 L2-L3 acromantis nymphs in them, and the 16 oz deli's have L3-L4 giant Malaysian nymphs. According to the care sheets from MantisPlace.com, these should be more than sufficient. What do you suggest for L2-L4 nymphs? I could take a close of those cups and maybe you can see better? If you look at the two FF cultures you'll see the one with the green goo on the bottom has a TON of ###### in there. That one was store-bought and the store is supplied with the FF cultures from a guy who breeds/sells fruit flies. I agree with you, it's full of so much crud and I can never get enough FF's out of the darn culture because they can't get through to the hole because of so much STUFF in the way. The other FF culture with the off-white food on the bottom has very few coffee filters and some of that.. stringy stuff from Mantisplace.com. Now, maybe none is better but I didn't go anywhere NEAR as crazy as that store-bought stuff. ;) If you insist that nothing but food is good in there, I'll do that in my next culture. Fine by me, if they can survive with nothing to climb up but the walls of the cup... then I see no use for anything else. :)

What do you have in those plastic containers? I hope not mantids or ooths as they are WAY too short. In the bottom right, is that fruit flies? If so you don't need to pack it so full of stuff. I have never figured out why people do that. I dont' put anything in there.
Here you go, that tiny brown thing up at the top is an Acromantis nymph and this is a 12oz cup.

IMG_1055.jpg

Here you go, that tiny brown thing up at the top is an Acromantis nymph and this is a 12oz cup.quote]

Those are too short IMO. It looks like he can do maybe one molt safety and that is it. With that foam in the bottom he may hit the bottom on his next molt actually. It appears all of your containers are about the same height. If that acromantis is that close to the bottom the other larger species is going to hit bottom when he molts. I would remove that excelsior as it just gets in the way and could interfere with a molt. I only use that stuff in containers with ooths. Height is very important. I recommend again the use of 32 oz deli cups for nymphs as they are the perfect size and leave plenty of room for molting.

As for the fruit flies many people cram them full of stuff which causes the problem you mentioned. If you want to use a little excelsior that is fine or you can use fiberglass screen or the plastic screen they sell for the purpose. I started taking some screen and wrapping it around the inside of the container but most times I use nothing at all.

Even with the risk of boring you with repetitions, I'm keeping all my mantids in large enclosures, most of them planted. I don't use a single box anymore, except for singletons that require that I have an eye on them (specimens that I need for the collection etc.). That mantids cannot find food in large containers is simply a myth. Cleaning isn't an issue, as debris is eaten up by feeder insects (roaches, firebrats) and springtails. I clean the window and the cage walls about 1-2 times a year when the cage is empty for some days. That's also the time I cut the plants back to a good size.

It's ok for you all to use cups and stuff like this, but telling that large enclosures don't work it's just not true. So, LectricBlueEyes, just go on with it and make your own experiences.

Even with the risk of boring you with repetitions, I'm keeping all my mantids in large enclosures, most of them planted. I don't use a single box anymore, except for singletons that require that I have an eye on them (specimens that I need for the collection etc.). That mantids cannot find food in large containers is simply a myth. Cleaning isn't an issue, as debris is eaten up by feeder insects (roaches, firebrats) and springtails. I clean the window and the cage walls about 1-2 times a year when the cage is empty for some days. That's also the time I cut the plants back to a good size.It's ok for you all to use cups and stuff like this, but telling that large enclosures don't work it's just not true. So, LectricBlueEyes, just go on with it and make your own experiences.
I prefer smaller but I know large will work. Most mantids have to be kept alone so what is the point of a huge enclosure for one mantis? THey can find food yes but they tend not to find as much of it in my experience. I find I always have to feed extra to ensure they get enough when in a large enclosure.

Oh, I see, I forgot to add that I keep all mantids communally in the large containers. Even adult females of most species can be kept together when they can space out. Of course this is something that you only can do with some experience, and it doesn't work with some species (Tenodera etc.), but nymphs and adult males are suited for communal breeding in larger enclosures.

Looks good just as most of the creations on mantid forums do. I really need to find me a work room and some tools!

Latest posts