Mantid keeper's best friend?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostie

Reaction score
I think they designed this for newbie Gongy owners. lol

MantisKeepersFriend1.jpg

MantisKeepersFriend.jpg

It looks like some kind of fly swatting gun. :lol: I got one at the dollarstore for my kid, and it worked like two clapping hands. The projectile one looks like it will be more effective, they won't see that coming. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir this here be the next generation in fly zapping equipment.

They won't see you coming!

I purchased it at Bass Pro Shop about a year ago before I moved.

Maybe want to check their website or something.

Good fun and fairly effective.

Not when you have a couple tubs totaling a few thousand in your apartment! :lol:

Yes I freeze them before I opening but some still get away no matter what I do.

fliez.jpg

That's a heck of a lot of flies! I put pupae into an empty Gatorade bottle with holes in it and catch them in a small fish net when I'm ready, twist the net into a pouch and seal it with a rubber band before I go for the freezer. It's amazing the things we do for our pets! Very interesting little contraption though. I like to watch my cat try to catch stray flies
biggrin.gif

You guys wouldn't believe me but I was actually catching these fat well fed flies with the tongs like Mr Miyagi. lol

You guys wouldn't believe me but I was actually catching these fat well fed flies with the tongs like Mr Miyagi. lol
Haha, beginner ruck! Wait, don't you have a chameleon...? Aren't they famous for their Miyagi-like way with the flies?

Me personally, I have not made any serious attempt at culturing flies for Sensei. He only eats like one or two small critters every 24 hours or so so I just go outside and catch him his food. I used to knock them out in the freezer before dropping them in there, but lately I've gotten lazy about that, and I've also gotten good at getting them in Sensei's jar and closing it before they escape.

-Tomato

I have those two gongy's and a orchid and a ghost that will all take the flies so figured couldn't hurt to have a bunch on hand.

Also ordering more gongy's tonight. Maybe try and breed them if all goes well. My first attempt at breeding mantids!

I wouldn't mind another orchid and a couple more ghosts to see how they pan out as well.

I actually did feed some of the flies to one of my quadricornis chameleons. They are very good at catching them!

I have those two gongy's and a orchid and a ghost that will all take the flies so figured couldn't hurt to have a bunch on hand.

Also ordering more gongy's tonight. Maybe try and breed them if all goes well. My first attempt at breeding mantids!

I wouldn't mind another orchid and a couple more ghosts to see how they pan out as well.

I actually did feed some of the flies to one of my quadricornis chameleons. They are very good at catching them!
You'll have to let me know when you find out what sex your orchid is, because I have one about the same age and if they're opposite sexes we might just have to see what happens!
laugh.gif

Sounds like a plan.

Seems your creo may be older than mine.

I think my orchid is female but being a newbie I'm still not 100% positive.

I planned to order a couple more eventually. May not be the same age though by the time I Finally get around to it. Those orchids seem a bit on the luxury side. Hehe.

I did order some more Ghosties and Violins. I think I will give them a shot for breeding and see what happens. Will let you know when I get some more orchids as well. Mantis Place is my next stop when I get some more cash :p

I have a feeling I'm going to need lots of nymph supplies and quite a few 32oz deli cups in the near future too.

Oh yeah my orchid molted last night! I knew she was going to. I could see her claws hanging opened for the first time and I took a before molting and after molting picture, but they are terrible because I took the pics through the deli cup and they came out fuzzy. Will post them later.

Seems your creo may be older than mine.
From what my tracker sheets say, both my creobroter sp. and my orchid are L5. They've always molted within like 12 hours of each other up until this last time. I haven't really tried to sex either of them, so I may look them down today and try to figure out. My st. carolina just molted again 2 days ago and I can clearly tell he's a boy now! I may buy some from Yen, but I wanna think about it. I will be stopping back at mantisplace myself fairly soon too! I love this hobby!!!!!

Latest posts