Mantids that impress your non-mantis rearing friends the most...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruszakus

Reaction score
I would like to know which mantis species your friends/family members find to be the most impressive ones? I know it ain't that great a topic, but I'm just curious.

everyone love my Asian Flower Mantis, Fewer seem to like the orchids though... wierd lol

My sister, my mother and my ex-girlfriend love Phyllocrania - no wonder why.

Please - use latin names, I don't get all that Asian Flower rubbish type thing.

My sister, my mother and my ex-girlfriend love Phyllocrania - no wonder why.Please - use latin names, I don't get all that Asian Flower rubbish type thing.
I only use that because the species i have is unknown, i guess the genus is creobroter?

My mother and uncle likes Pseudocreobotra and Hymenopus. My mom is amazed everytime she sees the hierodula because they just keep growing :D .

Most of the people who have really looked at my mantids in recent months have been some of my little girls:

Laura (great niece, 21yrs) thought that she didn't like "bugs" but got interested in some some second instar budwings (Parasphendale agrionina) during the week that she spent with me. Who wouldn't?

Sunny ("granddaughter" and LOML*, 15 yrs) is the only person that I would let care for my critters, and she likes the way that Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) dance.

Lolly (summer visitor from oz 17yrs) liked how fierce the Arizona bordered mantises (Stagmomantis limbata) are.

Kyra (friend's daughter 16 yrs) thinks that all mantids "are an example of the miracle of God's creation," but thinks that God's best effort was ghosts.

Robyn ( friend, 19yrs) says "Eek" when she sees a mantis, because she thinks that that is the girly thing to do.

Doug: you are perfectly correct in using an English (common) name for your mantids. Proponents of binomials claim that they are stable and common names are not, but the opposite is true. Ladybugs were and will be lady bugs, long before the binomial convention was invented and long after the genus has been "revised."

LOML = Love of My Life.

My friends are definitely mostly charmed by Hymenopuses. They don't even givemy other mantises a second glance after they look at the Hymenopuses. Haha.

They don't want to hold the other mantises, but they want to hold the hymenopuses because they are the most adorable ones. (and by hold, I mean let them crawl on their hands)

I have some friends that like Japanese Fictional Robots and stuff, and they always get a kick out of Idolomantises.

Although, when I show them pictures of Toxodera sp. on the internet everyone is awestruck and amazed in unison.

Minkyu

I only have Chinese (T. sinensis) but everyone who sees them is impressed, especially if they get to see one catching prey. Also, the novelty value of them turning their heads to look straight at someone never gets old. :D

I only have Chinese (T. sinensis) but everyone who sees them is impressed, especially if they get to see one catching prey. Also, the novelty value of them turning their heads to look straight at someone never gets old. :D
Dramatic Mantis

LOL cant believe that was my first thought too. the internetz was like a mother to me :lol:

people seem to be impressed by the size and ferocity of my Hierodula (not to mention the awesome coloration on our aussie ones! :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
My girl really likes Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii. She calls them the''tattooed mantis''

My sister likes Hymenopus coronatus.

In my experience, most are impressed by Idolomantis, Hymenopus and the very large and bulky ones.

PS: Binomials aren't to be used because they're stable, but because they're more exact!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 6 year old niece was afraid to touch or hold any of my mantids... until she saw the cute little adult female Pseudoharpax virescens. She fell in love. :wub:

I'm not sure if this is an instance of being "impressed" per se.... but her sister, my 13 year old niece, gave quite a reaction when she pulled out a baggie containing a couple of frozen adult female Rhombodera sp. while rummaging in my freezer for waffles for breakfast. I wasn't there at the time; but I was told her vocalizations were impressive at least! :lol:

[quote name='Christian' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:46 AM' post='102018'

PS: Binomials aren't to be used because they're stable, but because they're more exact!

I can't argue with that, Christian, though I suspect that you and I will always differ on this subject. :D

One argument often used in the U.S, though, is that the use of a binomial enables two people in different parts of the country, say, to readily identify the taxon, whereas if they use different, regional, common names, there might be confusion. A popular example is the mountain lion that is variously called puma, catamount, panther, couger, painter, etc. The scientific name will eliminate that confusion, it is argued. But the scientific literature on this beast currently gives it two names on the genus level, Puma concolor and Felis concolor (I think that the latter is what you would call the "junior" synonym). This means that to keep up on current research (and this is a very important ecological species in this area, as Fish and Game managers are trying to artificially control the ratio of cougars to bighorn sheep by selecively killing the former), you have to use two different names, regardless of what is "exact."

In the few mammal species on the planet it may work somewhat better, but in speciose genera as found in insects any use of vernacular names is really ridiculous. But hey, everyone can use what he wants, but please don't wonder if you get no subsequent generation. :rolleyes: