Mantis dehydration! HELP!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just run your finger under cold water and you will have a droplet at the end of your finger. Put the droplet on the mantis's mouth and the mantis will drink the water. I do this all the time. Make sure to spray water in your mantis's cage every other day so this doesn't happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure cause of death will be hydration? Is there any other explanation for the mantis being locked up?

Are you sure cause of death will be hydration? Is there any other explanation for the mantis being locked up?
I gave him/her a cricket yesterday that I found, my guess is that she is dying from insecticide, although the bathroom is pretty deep into our house and we just spray the outside. Btw we had her for 3 months, but she doesn't have wings yet. also there is a weird spot on her abdomen, like it black in the middle sourround by brown. I probably should have asked about it while she was well.

Was he/she in the sun?
No, she was not.

That does not sound good. I am guessing he will die. So the mantis is lying on the floor of his enclosure?
Now he is, before I was babysitting him with a wet tissue and some water.

The weird spot means your mantis has a bacterial infection. I'm sorry to say but your mantis is doomed. :unsure:

The black spot could just be a normal marking and when puffed up they show that marking on their abdomens. What species is she? Do you think she is molting? If it is molting use tape to tape the back legs of the mantis to something so that she is hanging upside down.

That could be the case, or it could be bacteria for the spot. Most likely bacteria if the mantis is barely moving now.

The black spot could just be a normal marking and when puffed up they show that marking on their abdomens. What species is she? Do you think she is molting? If it is molting use tape to tape the back legs of the mantis to something so that she is hanging upside down.
The weird spot means your mantis has a bacterial infection. I'm sorry to say but your mantis is doomed. :unsure:
So, if she is locked up does that mean she is molting, or what?

she might be molting, or she might be dying of an infection. try taping her legs to the top of the cage.

I just checked and I looks like the end of her abdomen got squished a little, also she is completely spayed out now, I'm pretty sure she is dead. Is she? Also what can I do with the body now.

I'm sorry to ear about your loss. :( I usually put my dead mantises in plastic bags so I can preserve them, much like an Entomologist. That way you can see what the mantis looks like if you ever need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to ear about your loss. :( I usually put my dead mantises in plastic bags so I can preserve them, much like an Entomologist. That way you can see what the mantis looks like if you ever need to.
So should I freeze her if there is any chance she is still alive? also how do I preserve her?

if you freeze her it will damage her because of ice crystals. Instead just find another way to put her out of her misery. What type of mantis is it? Also, you can just seal her in a plastic bag.

Latest posts