Mantis eggs, ootheca disappeared after mating.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugger

Reaction score
Hello,

I have my female mantis in a terrarium for some time, and she laid her egg pouch, ootheca, at the top in clear sight. This happened 1 week ago, and everything is good, but I knew the eggs were sterile as I had this female alone for several months. Then I found a male mantis and decided to mate him to see what would happen. The female was very well fed. I placed the male in the terrarium, they checked each other out and joined forces is a cordial mating soon after. After about 5 hours of the uneventful mating I peered inside the terrarium to notice that the female was having a tasty mantis head as an appetizer. The mating position was the same, still locked up , male on the back side, and the male penis was still doing its job with valiant effort.

Then I’m like wow, the male doesn’t even care he has no head, then about an hour later, same mating position, but the torso and thorax were gone, and the female was enjoying the meal, and the male was still functioning down below as if nothing had happened... No attempt to escape and still working hard at his job description with no head or thorax.. Ok, so eventually the male ended up as debris pile on the floor a few hours later, but the mating was successful by all indications. Then I noticed 2 days later, that the previous ootheca unharmed, was simply gone. It didn’t fall, it’s next to the glass and can only go onto the soft sand/ loom.

Did the female eat the ootheca because she knew that one was sterile and she had just been mated ? Is that possible.... I have pics.

Thanks..

It is an interesting hypothesis I'll say that. I haven't heard of or read of anything like that. Do you have any feeders in there like crickets that may have munched on it? I've never had crickets do it but I have heard of it happening.

I agree with rick

I had a creobroter gemmatus female lay an ooth and a cricket took a chunk out of it (I don't recommend feeding crix to creobroter gemmatus)

the ooth still hatched

the other theory is u removed the ooth and don't remember

My first guess would definitely be that a hidden insect ate it. Hard to imagine a mantis eating an ooth, but I never pictured them eating turkey either, so who knows. Is there anyway it could have somehow fallen behind something?

Latest posts