Mantis Feeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatSoucy

Reaction score
So I just got my first mantis in the mail yesterday and he/she is sooo tiny! I knew it would be little but he/she is wayy smaller than I thought and super fast! So I know this may sound like a stupid question (I've done alot of research on mantis care too before I got mine) but there's one thing I'm not sure of. Will my mantis stop eating when it's full or will it eat everything I put in there and over eat and die? I have to work today so I put a few fruit flies in the cup with my mantis (like 4 or 5) and he/she immediately ran and caught one and started munching away. But will it eat its fill and stop or do I need to only give a certain amount?

@KatSoucy For nymphs overeating isn't a problem, it is though for some adult mantids (primarily females). I feed mine enough to keep their little abdomen's plump

See the responses about it here...

To see a overeating adult female, look at the abdomen in the 2nd photo in the post here - it looks like a balloon with no wrinkles/folds left and is way beyond gravid...

I've seen even worse photos posted, but can't seem to find them searching on the forum.

Latest posts