Mantis fell, don't know what to do

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnyandwatson

Reaction score
So yesterday my mantis, Watson, fell while I was at my classes. She was in the middle of her molt and fell before I could get back to her. There were 2 crickets in the cage and they ended up eating one of her eyes and part of her claw by the time I got home. I thought she was absolutely going to die last night, but she was still breathing and wiggling her little legs at me every so often. I took her out of the cage and set her on a little plate so the crickets couldn't get her. I thought she would've been dead by morning but nope; she's still in the same condition, however the remnants of her injured eye tried to scab over, as weird as that sounds. 

Shes still alive this afternoon, but I sincerely doubt she's going to make a recovery from this. I just really don't know what to do. Mantids usually die if they fall mid-molt, but she hasn't died yet. She cant walk or pick up her head, but she can move her legs and butt. Please help. 

If she's in that bad of shape I would go ahead and put her in the freezer. You could always just let her die naturally, but I would be afraid that she's suffering. I'm so sorry! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto, its the only good thing to do, cept sometimes I just step on them to end it quick, but we all know how u feel.

Do u have more? if not, and u pay shipping I will send u a baby.

If she is unable to lift her head or move around, even if you assist you with feeding, sadly it doesn't sound like she would survive another molting. Mis-molts are definitely one of the downsides of the hobby, as if there is a problem there is little that can be done. I would recommend the other sediments of placing her in the freezer if you haven't already, and do so for 24+ hours to ensure a humane death.

I'm sorry that you have to do it, I've had to a few times myself and it doesn't get easier.

Latest posts