mantis found in trouble - puzzling

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnee78

Reaction score
thursday we found an adult mantis on our sidewalk. 2 things we noticed about this mantis… it’s back 4 legs were folded up underneath it, frozen, without use/movement. it’s wings were fully displayed. it was trying to drag itself along with it’s ‘elbows’. we brought it inside and have been trying to care for it, gently. i will attach a couple of photos for your review. we have propped it up in a container using a plastic straw to get it in a more ‘mantis’ type posture, also to assist with giving it water and food (crickets that i hold for it) and tiny amounts of organic honey. it’s eating power seems very weak, though it is interested and tries. when we first brought it in, it almost appeared as though it was having convulsions (of it’s front arms)… clear twitches at a frequent interval. since thursday, those actions have seemed to decrease in intensity and in frequency. i am noticing that today it’s mouth seems very ‘active’, however, it also seems to be ‘spitting up’ (clear) most of the water it drinks. i have all sorts of ideas as to why it might have been in this condition upon our discovery, but i’d be curious to your thoughts. i also would welcome any suggestions on how to possibly help it feel better. thanks y’all. (the photo collage shows photos from thursday. the single photo is a photo from yesterday). & i’ve gently assisted in getting those center wings to lay flat.
8F9BA08F-26BD-4475-A218-0B3C47AF64ED.jpeg
3FB3D3CF-DAE1-42B1-A767-FAFAC6CA0BF8.jpeg

thursday we found an adult mantis on our sidewalk. 2 things we noticed about this mantis… it’s back 4 legs were folded up underneath it, frozen, without use/movement. it’s wings were fully displayed. it was trying to drag itself along with it’s ‘elbows’. we brought it inside and have been trying to care for it, gently. i will attach a couple of photos for your review. we have propped it up in a container using a plastic straw to get it in a more ‘mantis’ type posture, also to assist with giving it water and food (crickets that i hold for it) and tiny amounts of organic honey. it’s eating power seems very weak, though it is interested and tries. when we first brought it in, it almost appeared as though it was having convulsions (of it’s front arms)… clear twitches at a frequent interval. since thursday, those actions have seemed to decrease in intensity and in frequency. i am noticing that today it’s mouth seems very ‘active’, however, it also seems to be ‘spitting up’ (clear) most of the water it drinks. i have all sorts of ideas as to why it might have been in this condition upon our discovery, but i’d be curious to your thoughts. i also would welcome any suggestions on how to possibly help it feel better. thanks y’all. (the photo collage shows photos from thursday. the single photo is a photo from yesterday). & i’ve gently assisted in getting those center wings to lay flat.View attachment 22340View attachment 22341
Wow, they are STUNNING! Look at those wings! I would recommend avoiding crickets as they carry diseases that are deadly to a mantis. Blue bottle flies, roaches, and grasshoppers would be ideal. I have a few questions for you before I attempt to give any suggestions:
  • Are their back legs completely “paralyzed” or are they able to move them?
  • Can they grip anything with their raptorial arms (two front arms)?
  • Have they pooped yet? Lol I know weird question but if they’re not able to pass waste it’s not looking good.
Would you be willing to share more pics of the injured legs/underside of the mantis?

Yeah it sounds like pesticides got to the poor mantis. That's what it does paralyzes the legs and such. Either that or it's a parasite. The convulsions tend to lend toward pesticides too. If the mantis is not able to keep fluids down it might be damaged internally unfortunately.

Latest posts