Mantis ooth care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volvagia2

Reaction score
I have some ooths; I want to put them in a Deli tub, and I put several holes on the lid for proper ventilation. Also, I want to put two ooths in the container while in the refrigerater but I don't know what are the recomended temperatures to put them in (They are ooths from the European spiecies). And, I'm going to seperate the ooths from the container when I take them out of the fridge for hatching. Also, does anyone know if water evaporates faster in colder temperatures than warmer temperatures thus makin humidity last longer while refrigerated.

Also, does anyone know if water evaporates faster in colder temperatures than warmer temperatures thus makin humidity last longer while refrigerated.
No, it doesn't. Everything else being equal, the higher the temperature, the more water will evaporate since the atmosphere can hold more moisture, that's why anything stored in the fridge need a lot of humidifying. Some parts of the country (low desert) have "dry heat", but that's because there is no water on the ground to evaporate.

No, it doesn't. Everything else being equal, the higher the temperature, the more water will evaporate since the atmosphere can hold more moisture, that's why anything stored in the fridge need a lot of humidifying. Some parts of the country (low desert) have "dry heat", but that's because there is no water on the ground to evaporate.
Volvagia2 (quote) Do you know what temperatures I should put the ooths? I have European spiecies and their ooths go on a dispause state while refrigerated.

Volvagia2 (quote) Do you know what temperatures I should put the ooths? I have European spiecies and their ooths go on a dispause state while refrigerated'

I think that it doesn't really matter. M. religiosa (I assume that that is what you have) will certainly experience below 0C weather in the N.E. U.S. where they occur naturally. Just stick them in the fridge at what ever temp it normally runs at, usually a few degrees above freezing, for a few weeks.

I keep anything like that in the door containers, where I can easily keep an eye on them. Don't worry about the low humidity. Some folks spritz the container once a week or so but it really makes little difference because the low humidity will obtain inside and outside of the pot because of the low temp.

It's more important to clearly label the pots with species and date and, if you have ADD like me, to put a note on the outside of the fridge saying when to pull them out is a big help.

Good luck!

Latest posts