Mealworms?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maneki

Reaction score
I tried searching but couldn't find anything that looked like it answered my question.

I recently caught a mantis. Not sure what kind, but it's not a fancy one. I figure either california or carolina or chinese. This isn't my first mantis, but I never did realize how many different ones there were!

Anyway... I've been giving him crickets, but I know I need to expand his menu. Can a mantis eat mealworms?

Mine don't care for meal worms, but if you can get them to take them it works! Flies, moths, bees, really any smaller bug that's not contaminated by any kind of pesticide. I can't wild catch feeders because I live in apartments that spray for everything
angry.gif
Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks! Mealworms are much easier for me to add in. I've tried to catch my own bugs for him, but I'm not very good at it.

I'm not either, although I have had luck with simple house flies. The always go to one window in my apartment. I wonder why.....

If it doesn't seem to want to eat the mealworm, it's probably because it's not moving around enough. I think that movement triggers them to attack. Sometimes I drop in roaches and it'll run around like crazy making the mantis want to chase after it, but then when it goes to a really quick complete stop, the mantis is almost clueless as to what it should do if it hasn't already attacked.

Latest posts