Memorable Feeder Insects/Feeding Experience Survey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed a yellow sac spider to my budwing Liddy tonight. It looked pretty juicy.

IMAG1269.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

The spider's legs were extending when Liddy was chewing on the part of them closest to the abdomen.

IMAG1320.jpg

"what's this piece"

IMAG1321.jpg

"what are you lookin at"

Found 20+ moths while baby sitting my sister at my other house. Can't wait to bring them home to the hungry mantids tomorrow!

I've always found it interesting to feed a mantis to a mantis. Most memorable was feeding a large, mismolted Dessicata girl to a hungry Blepharopsis Mendica girl. She ate most it.

sphinx moths!!! Right now there are a ton of white lined sphinx moths out. My adult mantis love them and are fine on one a week. NO MORE FLIES!!!

Later in the year, the one eyed sphinx moths come out, albeit less abundantly, and I take advantage too. BIG moths are my favorite mantis feeder. I honestly am trying to create a situation where I wont ever need flies anymore.

orchidplussphinx.jpg

Hymenopus eating a one eyed sphinx moth

sphinx moths!!! Right now there are a ton of white lined sphinx moths out. My adult mantis love them and are fine on one a week. NO MORE FLIES!!!

Later in the year, the one eyed sphinx moths come out, albeit less abundantly, and I take advantage too. BIG moths are my favorite mantis feeder. I honestly am trying to create a situation where I wont ever need flies anymore.

orchidplussphinx.jpg

Hymenopus eating a one eyed sphinx moth
I wish it was this simple for me. Every moth that I've caught out here in LA has ended up killing my mantids (including an adult hymenopus female). I'm pretty sure my situation has had something to do with pesticides.

Wax moths are fine for smaller instars, but for my adult females, I like a BIG moth. I mean, just check it out! One feeder, once a week! As easy and low maintenance as feeding a snake

Fed a yellow sac spider to my budwing Liddy tonight. It looked pretty juicy.

attachicon.gif
IMAG1269.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMAG1296.jpg

The spider's legs were extending when Liddy was chewing on the part of them closest to the abdomen.

attachicon.gif
IMAG1320.jpg

"what's this piece"

attachicon.gif
IMAG1321.jpg

"what are you lookin at"
Yellow sac spiders have a rather potent venom for their size. But this is natural prey in the wild for mantids so I guess it's fine. Did Liddy leave the spider head and fangs behind?

Moths are absolutely the best! Right now I can go out in the evening and collect sphinx moths feeding off geranium and other more tubular flowers.

Latest posts