Monarchs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It is not poisonis to inverts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has deformed wings and cannot survive, then yes. Otherwise, please don't. Monarchs are having a tough time :)

I have before but they are not endangered but my nephew tried to tell me they might be a state insect though in Michigan!

Interesting discussion.. So insects that consume milkweed sap are not harmful to mantids? I didn't know monarchs were protected in some states. I guess that makes sense. Many of the pesticides used on fields are killing off pollenating insects. I think I'd feel bad feeding something so pretty to a mantis although I'm sure it's a healthy meal.

Interesting discussion.. So insects that consume milkweed sap are not harmful to mantids? I didn't know monarchs were protected in some states. I guess that makes sense. Many of the pesticides used on fields are killing off pollenating insects. I think I'd feel bad feeding something so pretty to a mantis although I'm sure it's a healthy meal.
Mantids are not injured by eating bugs (hemiptera) that eat milkweed, but are likely to spit them out and then not try them again. The milweed has a number of nasty substabances, including sticky latex, but its major defense is a cardenolide, which as its name implies, affects the heart (digoxin from the foxglove is another well known example). The monarch butterfly retains some of these cardenoids that were taken in when it was a caterillar, but since mantids don't have hearts (sad but true!) it doesn't affect them as it would birds, and they will definitely eat monarchs.

Surprisingly, the monarch is the state insect of six states, but that does not give it protection. It is not endangered or protected anywhere in the US. It and its habitat are protected in the pine forest that is its major migration site in Mexico.

Aha! I just got a package from Yen, so you're spared any more of this exciting stuff! :D

Latest posts