Multi-Mantis Enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
So I found plenty of free time today to complete the construction of my multi-mantis enclosure using MDF and mesh. It took way longer than I thought to put it together. The most tedious part about the task was hot-gluing all the mesh on it. It's 32" long with four 8"x8"x8" chambers. I figured those dimensions were neither too big nor too small to house a mantis so that it lives comfortably. I have to collect some nice branches and fake plants to furnish each one eventually. Here's a few pics of the enclosure:

_MG_4529_zpsba42a44a.jpg

_MG_4530_zps4cb00904.jpg

_MG_4532_zpsf275fc71.jpg

_MG_4533_zpsaedfa111.jpg

Nice work. Do you plan to paint or seal it to avoid moisture damage?

Nice work. Do you plan to paint or seal it to avoid moisture damage?
Thanks, Tony. Do you think I should? I have a gallon of Polyurethane. Maybe that would work?

I know MDF isn't the greatest material, especially the 1/4" one that I used for the hinged doors, but I had so much laying around I figured I'd put it to use.

Water is no friend to MDF, I would expect it to swell and crack pretty quickly from spraying the mantids. I'll defer to the more experienced keepers to suggest a safe sealant or paint.

Water is no friend to MDF, I would expect it to swell and crack pretty quickly from spraying the mantids. I'll defer to the more experienced keepers to suggest a safe sealant or paint.
Glad you brought this to my attention. I'm going to slap 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane on it tomorrow. Probably a little extra on the bottom and top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google "MDF water damage" and check out the pictures.

Hi try using a water based paint or varnish on the mdf and leave for a while before placing any mantids in . Great enclosure but I would be tempted to blank of each division so as not to allow threat displays and potential stress to your mantids.

I like your enclosure(s?)!

If you're worried about giving your mantids enough moisture, try using a pipette to directly apply water to their mandibles. That way, no water actually touches the wood!

Keep in mind what ever you use as a coating the mantis must be able to drink mist off it and not be toxic, nice Idea though!

Hi try using a water based paint or varnish on the mdf and leave for a while before placing any mantids in . Great enclosure but I would be tempted to blank of each division so as not to allow threat displays and potential stress to your mantids.
I slapped 3 coats of polyurethane on it. I'm going to wait a couple of days before I proceed to furnishing each chamber and placing any mantids inside.

I thought about creating solid walls in between but decided I wanted this to have as much ventilation as possible, mainly for non-tropical species of mantids. If I see that there is too much stress on them because of the threat displays, I can always hot-glue a bunch of climbing twigs on the mesh to obscure the visibility.

I like your enclosure(s?)!

If you're worried about giving your mantids enough moisture, try using a pipette to directly apply water to their mandibles. That way, no water actually touches the wood!
Not a bad idea. I'm going to try my best to just mist the leaves/twigs that I place in there. I'm beginning to feel that since there is plenty of ventilation throughout this enclosure, water won't be much of an issue.

Latest posts