my first idolos-any tips?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I'm happy with my idolos and I think they are cooler (not by much though) than orchids.

but any way I can improve my setup? post while I read idolos consolidated. :lol:

Ive seen a bit of cannibalism in a large viv with them at L2/L3, I definitely wouldnt leave them in a ff cup together I have 35 in a 75 gallon doing fine, a ten should do well for 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
do they need a hot/cool spot in the tank? I was thinking of putting a lamp on both sides so they can have separate basking areas.

Im no expert on this species, I cant help you there but Im going with ambient temp my vivs are 85-95 during the day, I have 4 48'' T8's over each 75 and control the temps by 11'' wide heat tape running under the viv which also brings up humidit due to the damp sphagnum.

I find 85 to be the sweet spot for temps, in multi enclosure setups higher temps had a shorter life span in general, 95-100 are breeding temps for these contrary to public belief. Much cooler and they don't metabolize food well enough leading to long periods between molts and sometimes (mystery) death. Where they come from has about a 80-85 degree average seasonal temp(Kenya-Tanzania) and is mostly dry till the rainy/monsoon season which is when they are in the final few molts over there, I've done research on this if that helps?

what is the night temps?

they were moved to a 2 ft. tall zoomed viv. I covered the mesh lid with paper towel. I have a very good (rough, very branched, thin, doesn't obstruct molting) branch in there.

do they need a night heater or can they just be at room temps at night? I have a night heater from my old cham that I can use if necessary.

Room temp (68-72) at night is fine, the cool down will raise the RH and help with molting. Keep in mind they do need ventilation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, you know the mantis hobby is a small world when people can tell by a post that they saw the person make the buy in person. :p

No advice but good luck.

Room temp (68-72) at night is fine, the cool down will raise the RH and help with molting. Keep in mind they do need ventilation?
I open the cage several times a day, a little gets trough the lid and around the door, and there is a small ventilation strip near the floor. is this enough for now? when I have extra time I will remove the paper towel and hot glue twigs to the roof.

don't know what I'm going to do in the winter when night temps can drop below 60. :eek:

L1 and L2 can but no guarantee's after that, and not all paper towel are equally as good, you want the thick-fibered kind, but sticks with bark are the way to go.

Latest posts