My First Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coneja

Reaction score
After lurking around this site a bit and debating about it for a couple of months, I got my first mantis two weeks ago. (I live in an apartment while I'm at school and we're not allowed to have pets except for fish... I thought a mantis might be an acceptable substitute...) He (seems to have 7-8 abdomen segments) is a Hierodula patellifera nymph with one short antenna and an undersized tarsus on his left raptorial. I decided to name him Siri, after a protagonist from a Peter Watts novel. He's been a joy to watch and even my roommates are a little charmed by him.

My favorite picture, because of those eyes.

DSC_0147_zps089f5dd0.jpg

He can be a little skittish when there's a lot of people around, and when two of my roommates came over to take pictures when I first moved in with him, he took a flying leap at one of their camera phones! I had no idea he could jump that far, so now I'm VERY careful whenever I get him out. :)

DSC_0070_zpsfad746ea.jpg

DSC_0081_zps4e5e437a.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsd6d43ebb.jpg

One thing I was surprised about when I got him was all the subtle colors that mantids have, even the "big greens." Siri is an L2 in these pictures (how he came to me, although he's since molted and he's gotten some new dark banding on his legs since.)

DSC_0090_zps88064215.jpg

Siri's "Lion King" pose:

DSC_0120_zps25351cc0.jpg

DSC_0128_zpsdb89dd91.jpg

After his molt:

DSC_0172_zps5fa12393.jpg

DSC_0212_zps08a7dc64.jpg

I was amazed by his size increase after his molt.... He did it at night while I was sleeping (probably good, because I would have worried he would've fallen) and was noticeably bigger with a larger left tarsus too. (He still favors it when he walks, as it doesn't stick to the plastic of his little home as easily.) I am also amazed by how many flies he can eat, particularly after his molt, although sometimes his hobby is eating half of the torso then flinging the rest across the enclosure. :rolleyes: He has since been a little less wasteful, for which I'm grateful.

Anyway, I've just been so excited about him that I wanted to share with some other enthusiasts. And yes, I'm already toying with the idea of getting another after he's gotten a little older...

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I like his lopsided antenna, and it's really reassuring to know that his foot will grow back as it seems to hinder him a little. (Mostly he just goes slow when he's climbing and waits for the food to come to him.) I mist once a day and am trying to balance watering with drying, since Praying Mantids: Keeping Aliens emphasizes that water droplets should be gone within 30 minutes. I also give him a little water and honey from a skewer when I take him out, otherwise I never see him drinking and have to assume he gets most his fluids from the houseflies...

He just molted last Tuesday, like I said, but his abdomen looks fat and is pulsing again (which happened the first time and which I read on here is a sign of getting ready to molt.) It seems like it's too soon for him to start preparing to molt AGAIN...

The pulsing is him breathing. They have little holes to breathe through along the sides of thier abdomen. They dont breathe through thier mouth like we do.

Ah. Right then. ^_^ I didn't even think about that. I know they have an open circulatory system, so I thought at first it was the pulse of "blood" but I swear I read somewhere on here that lots of pulsing could be a sign of getting ready to molt. Oh well. Good to know. :)

congrats on your first! i have a ghostie that broke one of her legs (well, I did it by accident by dropping her...) but in her last molt she got a little retarded one. she can barely use it because it is shorter than the others. but im assuming it will be completely grown back and usable in the next molt.

good luck, and you absolutely will choose to get another one. im about to get my 4th species. lots of fun!

After lurking around this site a bit and debating about it for a couple of months, I got my first mantis two weeks ago. (I live in an apartment while I'm at school and we're not allowed to have pets except for fish... I thought a mantis might be an acceptable substitute...)

Anyway, I've just been so excited about him that I wanted to share with some other enthusiasts. And yes, I'm already toying with the idea of getting another after he's gotten a little older...
I live with a no pets policy too, but surely they didn't mean mantids... ;)

Your mantis looks great and I'm happy you're enjoying him! I'd definitely recommend having a few more species on hand... they all have such distinct and awesome personalities!

Last edited by a moderator:
I live with a no pets policy too, but surely they didn't mean mantids... ;)
Exactly! And I knew they wouldn't mind so much, I didn't bother asking... :D I just make sure to keep the flies I'm hatching out securely hidden in my room when I'm away, because you never know...

Yeah, I'm already thinking about what species would be another good one... :rolleyes: He's so entertaining and the care is so minimal, they seem like the perfect college pet. (As opposed to fish, which often require a lot more space than a small apartment will let you provide... Not to mention the time and severe worry you have to invest to make sure the little finned critter's environment stays habitable...)

Ah. Right then. :)
The pulsing abdomen is breathing. Sometimes they will breathe heavily when they are stressed from handling or when they are eating. I have had mantids that breathed heavily when they were ill as well.

Mantids certainly pulse hard in a certain rhythm when they are due to molt,(it is one of the signs that I anticipate) it is just not the only reason that they pulse their abdomens.

Latest posts