My first!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:lol: Got my first roach today, that I paid for (no really)! Freaked me out all day thinking about them coming and not knowing what to expect. Really almost fainted when I opened the box, you should of seen me! Had a wet suit on and fully gloved! Not! But did have on gloves and my trusty 10" forceps on me, but they did not like being grabbed by them. It was hard to move them, they did not want out of their carton they were in... awesome bugs! I like em! Help aliens have attacked me and entered my brain, did I just say I liked them? :blink: Their scratching around bothered me, all that racket, but they like their new home, tomorrow I will give them shorter food cups, they dont seem to like these. It was funny, I was trying to move them and had the small egg flat in my hand and I looked at one and it looked back as if to say, Ah! shes gonna touch me, and i was saying to myself... Ah, it's gonna touch me....

100_0120.jpg

100_0119.jpg

I know mantids like these but... i just cant stomach the idea of keeping roaches even if they are fruit eaters. With this kind of roach, if they escape will they populate the kitchen or something or are they an exotic type which would not take over the house?

My wife would probably kill me if i brought those in here too

Congrats, Rebecca! :D I like my Dubias too. I aquired 7 different species of roaches, and so far I think I'm liking the Dubias best. Trying to figure out if I even want to keep the others (simplicity is a virtue and would save much room and time in the bug room!).

They aren't really like I thought they'd be... not near as "gross." But I'm still not comfortable enough to actually touch them with my bare hands. :unsure: I bet you'll like yours too. If you figure out an easy way to separate the babies for feeding... let me know, lol. I'd also bet your roaches are going to like their new home! ;)

Ya... pets! LOL :lol:

Congrats, Rebecca! :D I like my Dubias too. I aquired 7 different species of roaches, and so far I think I'm liking the Dubias best. Trying to figure out if I even want to keep the others (simplicity is a virtue and would save much room and time in the bug room!). They aren't really like I thought they'd be... not near as "gross." But I'm still not comfortable enough to actually touch them with my bare hands. :unsure: I bet you'll like yours too. If you figure out an easy way to separate the babies for feeding... let me know, lol. I'd also bet your roaches are going to like their new home! ;)

Ya... pets! LOL :lol:
you put you 'pet roaches' into a modified large box with a mesh bottom (of any size, depending on what size of roach you want to take out) and put another normal box below the modified box so that the small roaches can fall in:)

I've been wanting to keep these as feeders for a long time. But I don't because my wife said I would have to sleep with them outside.

Cause we gentle souls! Rick, she should make u sleep out side for just thinking about it :lol: and Martin, I tell you, an alien has captured me and I am in his spaceship and the person typing this is a droid! ;)

Cause we gentle souls! Rick, she should make u sleep out side for just thinking about it :lol: and Martin, I tell you, an alien has captured me and I am in his spaceship and the person typing this is a droid! ;)
Come take for a spin in your new ride. :lol:

I cannot believe you have actually invited roaches into your home.

I will help you feed them, feed them to others, clean up after them, but I will not, I repeat,

will not eat in the same room as them. So when I come for dinner, they better be back in

their eggs cartons and I don't want to hear them 'clicking' around in there, either. That freaks

me out.

You're very strange in your old age. But I love you lots and lots.

Jocial (the 'sane' sister)

I cannot believe you have actually invited roaches into your home.I will help you feed them, feed them to others, clean up after them, but I will not, I repeat,

will not eat in the same room as them. So when I come for dinner, they better be back in

their eggs cartons and I don't want to hear them 'clicking' around in there, either. That freaks

me out.

You're very strange in your old age. But I love you lots and lots.

Jocial (the 'sane' sister)
Uh-oh!! :eek: Is this double trouble?!! ;) :lol: