My Idolo girl did it! She successfully molted to an adult.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idologrl

Reaction score
She did it! My first successful adult Idolo molt. I was laying up in bed..couldn't sleep so at 3:00 am I went down to check on her. She had just started to molt..I've never seen anything struggle so hard to escape. I was holding my breath but at the same time I praying my heart out she'd do this.. And she made it! Whoo hoo! I am so happy right now!!!

She did it! My first successful adult Idolo molt. I was laying up in bed..couldn't sleep so at 3:00 am I went down to check on her. She had just started to molt..I've never seen anything struggle so hard to escape. I was holding my breath but at the same time I praying my heart out she'd do this.. And she made it! Whoo hoo! I am so happy right now!!!
It won't let me post photos so I'll try again later.. :-(

Almost forgot, now you can quit worrying about her molting as she did it, and go get some sleep ;)

Well that was short lived..She fell trying to get a grip after molting. Looks like she broke her legs. I brought her upstairs with me and fed her some flower power and water. Guess I have a special needs baby now. Thats okay I will love and take care of her just the same. I am gutted..

:(

Did the legs break off, or just bend?

If they're bent, try getting her to hang upside down before she starts to harden.

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: I didnt read all the comments and see it was bad news

They broke off...all four broke off ...I am gutted..

What a horrible turn of events since I last seen this topic. Really sorry to see it turned out so bad for you and your Idolo. Not sure what can be done, or if hand feeding even will make a difference - hopefully others will respond soon.

That is so sad... I feel so bad for you..

Thanks everyone for the kind words! She is still alive. I am feeding her flowerpower but she is really weak..Guess we'll have to wait and see. Keep wondering if it would be more humane to put her down..But can't seem to make myself do it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! She is still alive. I am feeding her flowerpower but she is really weak..Guess we'll have to wait and see. Keep wondering if it would be more humane to put her down..But can't seem to make myself do it.
It is very hard to decide whether or not you should put them down. I haaate doing it.

It is very hard to decide whether or not you should put them down. I haaate doing it.
Yeh..so do I...Keep wondering what I did wrong. Humidity was up..It was well into the 90 temps. Someone saw the pic and said she couldn't molt good cause humidity was low. I even had a cup warmer in her enclosure with steaming water. Next time I'm covering it with wet papertowels and a plastic cover over the top plus the cup warmer. The mantis is going to think she's molting in a hot humid Virgina town..i'm also going to add stuff in the enlcosure that she can grab onto better so she can pull herself up. I'm not giving up on this. I have another girl who should be molting soon.

Yeh..so do I...Keep wondering what I did wrong. Humidity was up..It was well into the 90 temps. Someone saw the pic and said she couldn't molt good cause humidity was low. I even had a cup warmer in her enclosure with steaming water. Next time I'm covering it with wet papertowels and a plastic cover over the top plus the cup warmer. The mantis is going to think she's molting in a hot humid Virgina town..i'm also going to add stuff in the enlcosure that she can grab onto better so she can pull herself up. I'm not giving up on this. I have another girl who should be molting soon.
Her legs were out of the exoskeleton werent they? That wouldnt mean the humidity was too low. You said she fell after molting didnt you?

Thats a good idea to put stuff in to help her climb

Good luck with your other girl!

Honestly, if she fell after being completely out of her exoskeleton, it could have been because it was TOO humid... Did she fall from the exoskeleton when it was hanging onto just her anus? Did the entire exoskeleton fall WITH her? Both may indicate that it was TOO wet and so the exoskeleton wasnt able to hold her up as it became too soft and wet and weakened

Latest posts