My inverts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venom

Reaction score
You would probably be able to tell what my favorite are.

firmelittleguy.jpg

dead.jpg

Centinew.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

Firmesting.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

Lots of pics, sorry.

Nice. Always thought about getting a scorpion.

Wow nice, do you still have any B. jacksoni's ;)
Nope, but I want some!

Scorpions are cool.

I've always wanted mantids but their lifespan compared to a scorpion is bleh.

Around 4-8 years for a scorpion

And average for a mantid is 6 months

I prefer things with a shorter lifespan because most of those are more active. Plus the faster they grow the earlier you'll be able to breed them. The gestation period for a scorpion is 3 months to 1 year. The gestation period for a mantis is a few weeks. I still love arachnids though. I'm looking forward to get a centipede, a trap door spider, and 1 or 2 bird eating spiders. What other species do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer things with a shorter lifespan because most of those are more active. Plus the faster they grow the earlier you'll be able to breed them. The gestation period for a scorpion is 3 months to 1 year. The gestation period for a mantis is a few weeks. I still love arachnids though. I'm looking forward to get a centipede, a trap door spider, and 1 or 2 bird eating spiders. What other species do you have?
Yes, you're right, but I don't really "breed". And over here in Chicago there is no wild mantids that I know of. :( I have to buy them, and they cost 20 each and they will only last a few months. Compared to a scorpion that lasts a few years.

Oh and I have a G.Rosea(Tarantula), Some more scorpions, Ball python, Corn snake. :)

It's actually a year, but it's still a short lifespan compared to a scorpion, haha. Do you breed scorpions yourself?
I don't breed them, but I have bought gravid ones. I've had 2 "Miscarriages" and one succesfull birth.(The tiny scorpion next to the penny(coin for your europeans) ) is one of the birthed.

I'm getting a budwing mantid in two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of centipede is that? Also, what are the smaller yellow/brown scorpions. They look just like ones that I caught on a herping trip in the Flint Hills of Kansas about 6 years ago. I kept them for a while and they were a lot of fun. I also have a rose-hair tarantula that I got as a baby around the same time. Not as exciting as mantids, but much more long-lived!

Nice bugs! I have scorps and pedes too. Found an ootheca and it hatched so it's my first time to raise some mantids. I kind of like the idea they don't live real long. Like was implied earlier, I'm seeing more eating and growing with the mantids than with the pedes, Ts and scorps. I think mantids might be something I do now and then rather than all the time, and maybe one sp at a time. Maybe if I cut back on all the other stuff some day, I'd get into it more.

Latest posts