My Luna Moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No thank you as i said before please just post a picture of you cage because i think it has something to do with bad ventilation or too much misting.

how many sides of ventilation do have?

No thank you as i said before please just post a picture of you cage because i think it has something to do with bad ventilation or too much misting.how many sides of ventilation do have?
look. how many times am I gonna say it LAST TIME THE PILLARS LIVED IN THE SAME SETUP I'M USING NOW WITHOUT ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PAY ATTENTION AND I ALSO SAID I USE WATER JUGS WITH THE TOPS CUT OFF AND SARAN RAP SECURED WITH A RUBBER BAND FOR THE LID!!! SORRY I'M YELLING BUT I'VE SAID THIS ENOUGH AND NO ONE SEEMS TO BE LISTENING AND RIGHT NOW I'M GETTING IMPATIENT!!! Now also realize that last time I even misted the pillars whenever I put leaves in, and now I don't and holes are cut in the saran rap so if anything, they are drier this brood.

Calm down now.

Listen now, the setup i used with my deaths went good for a year, and then a few died. why?

They all died just after molting to adulthood, i think they got hit with a bacterial infection while they were at their weakest.

If i were you i'd rather start investigating first BEFORE claiming they died of this "NPV".

Calm down now.Listen now, the setup i used with my deaths went good for a year, and then a few died. why?

They all died just after molting to adulthood, i think they got hit with a bacterial infection while they were at their weakest.

If i were you i'd rather start investigating first BEFORE claiming they died of this "NPV".
well I know it is some kind of disease that's highly contagious. I have a good link on NPV. Here it is:

The Link

you have yours in saran wrap? dude lol thats ghetto even for me lol. Well i NEVER misted my eggs, didnt know they needed to be, ABbuggin just said the eggs will stick and i should harvest them because they move alot, wasnt told to mist. With that said now im almost positive the eggs dried out, they where also about 1ft away from a window thats open 90% of the time(wind). Well i live and learn. and Agent A you need to put them in a tub with a hole cut out and netting put in cause shrink wrap is a sure fire way to keep air and heat in, and nothing else out. even with holes its still a bad idea, just my 2 cents on it.

Agent a do you think you could get a picture of an infected pillar and even if you can't upload it you can either put it on your site or send it to me and i'll upload it.

okay I'm getting tired of this! everything ABbuggin tells me about luna rearing is the exact opposite of what Bill O. tells me! Who do I believe?
Well, they dont need misting if kept outside (in their natural habitat). If you are keeping them in your room, and it is dry in there then they will need to be misted. When I hatch my eggs outdoors, I dont mist them and they hatch just fine, if I don't mist them when indoors, they don't hatch.

Sorry about not telling you to mist them Doug, I must of forgotten that you are in CA and it didn't register to me that it is much drier there. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
ABbuggin may I have permission to use some of your gorgeous photos as references for some artwork I would like to do? I am designing a Luna moth tattoo for myself (including other Actias species) and my photos I've taken are very limited. I will let you known which I use and for what purpose I will use them and I always believe in giving fair credit to the original photographer. Let me know!

That's really nice bro. I always wanted to try and raise moths. It's good luck in my culture. I've always wanted to try Hickory Horned Devil caterpillars, but I can't find anybody who has them.

That's really nice bro. I always wanted to try and raise moths. It's good luck in my culture. I've always wanted to try Hickory Horned Devil caterpillars, but I can't find anybody who has them.
Thanks. I actually used to raise and breed (have a thread here somewhere) Hickory Horned Devil catts and moths. They were a lot of fun, and even a lot more work to feed. Caterpillars the size of hot dogs eat a lot LOL. :lol:

How did u get Hickory Horned Devil pupa to hatch? From what I've heard, it is really difficult.

How did u get Hickory Horned Devil pupa to hatch? From what I've heard, it is really difficult.
I did. Never had a problem and breeding went super easy. I am all out of pupae/cocoons. I usually like to rear something different in the summer, last year it was caterpillars (year before was aquatic insects). Looking at breeding tiger beetles this year. :D

Latest posts