My mantid collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah your taus look a lot like mios...
They dont really look much like mios at all. mios are much longer and thinner, not nearly as fat, and their wings go to the end of their abdomen versus my taus having their abdomen stick out, and mios do not have the blue spots on their arms like my taus do. My taus are nothing like mios.

They dont really look much like mios at all. mios are much longer and thinner, not nearly as fat, and their wings go to the end of their abdomen versus my taus having their abdomen stick out, and mios do not have the blue spots on their arms like my taus do. My taus are nothing like mios.
There are lots of species of mios. I could be wrong...

There are lots of species of mios. I could be wrong...
There are two important things to consider.

1: Again someone will need to verify wether or not there is a sp. of Miomantis that has blue dots on it's forearms because Mike and I's mantids do.

2: I don't know of any Miomantis sp. that produces green oothecae like Taumantis do. These guys all hatched out of a large "fluffy green ooth". I saw it first hand myself at Alberts.

I'm not sure what instar Mike received his from Albert but I got my "mystery Taus" from Albert as L1's and they were red with long thin legs, just like a Taumantis sigiana nymph.

If they aren't Taumantis sigiana they are some sort of Taumantis....

Just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two important things to consider.

1: Again someone will need to verify wether or not there is a sp. of Miomantis that has blue dots in it's arms because Mike and I's mantids do.

2: I don't know of any Miomantis sp. that produces green oothecae like Taumantis do. These guys all hatched out of a large "fluffy green ooth".

I'm not sure what instar Mike received his from Albert but I got my "mystery mantids" from Albert as L1's and they were red with long thin legs, just like a Taumantis nymph.

If they aren't Taumantis sigiana they are some sort of Taumantis....

Just my 2 cents ;)
You are most likely right I just wanted to play devils advocate.

9/4/2013 - one molt, one hatch

Ephestiasula pictipes - Little Mac (F) finally molts to adult

Popa spurca - Bonsly's first ooth hatches one month less a day after being laid. approximately 100 babies, 1 stuck in ooth.

bEhTEwp.jpg

KOEDAOM.jpg

XjtnMCi.jpg

yNWGAEN.jpg

TD8Rm2C.jpg

4/12/2013 - Two molts, one ooth laid

Taumantis sp. - Gen (M) molts to adult.

Hierodula membranacea - Patrick (M) molts to presubadult (very slow grower for unknown reasons)

Popa spurca - Bonsly's third ooth. Her first has already hatched.

nmNuX7R.jpg

c5CMaIc.jpg

1R4RhOQ.jpg

wzMx1Oo.jpg

Key for size comparison

a0PBYqN.jpg

l12CB6P.jpg

Miscellaneous

Housing - Moved Ephestiasula pictipes male (Dudley) into same enclosure as adult female Lil mac. No hostility witnessed, will watch for mating in the coming weeks.

Failed mating attempt - Taumantis sigianna. Female (Claire) attacked the male (Mime), managed to separate them but male was injured, potentially permanent damage to right raptorial.

Waiting for first mesopteryx ooths to hatch... won't be long now.

13/4/2013 - 1 mating

Ephestiasula pictipes - Balrog (M) and Lil mac (F) connected. Kept communally, unknown for how long. New species success

kcEPiRL.jpg

PKnA8Er.jpg

yCnzgU3.jpg

Miscellaneous:

Housing - Moved 4 archimantis latistyla to new housing. old housing was growing cramped.

16/4/2013 - 1 Mating

Ephestiasula pictipes - Bison (M) and Lil Mac (F) mate for the third time.

* note: I feel like I'm cheating. You just put the male and female together for a few days and they mate every day. Very easy.

CXTfVtP.jpg

Miscellaneous:

Setting up a hot area for the arrival of Gongylus in the near future.

The mini-FF culture cups are a success. one of the melano cups has been feeding the Popa hatch for a week or so. Lots of production.

Superworms are breeding well. Lots of babies of them.

Taumantis/hierodula membranacea almost ready to mate. Getting things ready for that.

17/4/2013 - One hatch, one mating, two individual molts, one group molt

Mesopteryx alata - Francis' First Ooth hatches. Approximately 80 nymphs. Ooth was kept at 80F and ~70-80% humidity, hatched in 27 days.

Taumantis sp. - Claire (F) mates with Gen (M). Introduced at 3:25 p.m., connected at 3:46, stayed connected for 4 hours and 39 minutes. Temperature was 83F, humidity was ~80%. Claire is 24 days adult, and Gen is 5 days adult.

* First mating for me for this species. NEW SPECIES SUCCESS

Humbertiella sp. "ceylonica" - Nymph molts to L4, earns the name "Lichen"

Humbertiella sp. "ceylonica" - Nymph molts to L4, earns the name "Trunk"

Popa spurca - Nymphs which hatched from Bonsly's first ooth are now almost entirely L2.

jgxSXbv.jpg

pZJLHNR.jpg

dFKgqNG.jpg

lFxzb7D.jpg

Y1obKhG.jpg

IBi7kus.jpg

KQTWtw3.jpg

7AmFqHx.jpg

Miscellaneous:

Rehousing: Archimantis latistyla - Tristan rehoused in larger enclosure

Wild caught bugs: found 3 red spotted leaf footed insects. They went to subadult Taumantis (F) Chun-Li

Death: Hierodula majuscula - Majere (M) - cause: likely age

18/4/2013 - One hatch

Mesopteryx alata - Ester's first ooth hatches. approximately 70 nymphs

19/4/2013 - 2 matings

Hierodula membranacea - Digger (M) and Lipid (F) have a quickie (Not sure anything even happened.)

Ephestiasula pictipes - Bison (M) and Lil Mac (F)

EJXRjCB.jpg

c2vvZVu.jpg

XyahZAs.jpg

WvlZfkm.jpg

Og6aQzE.jpg

20/4/2013 - One ooth laid and two matings

Taumantis sigiana - Claire lays her first ooth after being adult 27 days and one mating with Gen. Approximately the same size as her.

Ephestiasula pictipes - Lil Mac (F) mates with Steve (M) - didnt get any pictures. This is her 5th mating I don't think I need anymore proof

Hierodula membranacea - Lipid (F) mates with Tenacious (M) - occured around 11 p.m., room temp at 83, humidity at 70%.

AT7Gq4n.jpg

U1lyVZ1.jpg

BNrNW0u.jpg

kzcOMB2.jpg

Amazing! I can not imagine how much time all the mantids care must take you. I only have 11 and sometimes it takes me all day.. well, I take all day on purpose, because it is fun.....

22/4/2013 - One mating, One molt

Ephestiasula pictipes - Lil Mac (F) mates with Steve (M). This is like her 7th time mating. Kind of ridiculous.

Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii - Spike (M) molts to Presub looks like. Seems to be going pretty slow even though I'm constantly feeding him. If anyone has a girlfriend for him feel free to let me know.

aez7SHT.jpg

NBWHQIx.jpg

grrrr

FKKKi1A.jpg

oh hi

QreCx3a.jpg

He's got pink hearts on his butt.

X8VU4VL.jpg

24/4/2013 - New arrivals, One molt, One ooth lay(ish. not really),

Oxypilus annulatus (Wingless Boxer) - 14 ooths arrive

Mesopteryx alata - First of the nymphs molts to L2

Ephestiasula pictipes - micro-ooths laid around enclosure. fairly positive nothing comes of these, just tests.

Dlld2wX.jpg

fqvMu5f.jpg

2Q6zwIg.jpg

wjxSqqj.jpg

Tl4e5UQ.jpg

zgTbluV.jpg

yfllHZ0.jpg

Miscellanious:

Death - Archimantis latistyla (Mismoult)

removed the male from Lil Mac (E. pictipes) enclosure. They've mated enough, now she needs to lay

Pnigomantis medioconstricta - Bear Gryls (M) is ready to molt. could happen any minute.

Ephestiasula pictipes: My little princess. Favorite individual mantis by far

wbUjXsy.jpg

4vE0rnK.jpg

vhqTT7B.jpg