My mantid collection

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
February 10th update

Included:

Popa Spurca: Bonsly molted to adult last night.

Odontomantis sp: Thomas, L5 or 6, starting to turn green on the underside.

Polyspilota griffinii: Clint, Laying her first ooth (never been mated.)

Tenodera sinensis: The first few have molted to L2.

Popa spurca: One of my first mantids. Bonsly arrived via Teddy Bear mail from mime454 and reached adulthood last night. Hopefully I'm right that Shifty is male and he catches up so I can mate them.

ouzDY9X.jpg

qdwin5i.jpg

Odontomantis sp: I've actually lost count of what instar these guys are. I'm pretty sure its L6, but correct me if you believe otherwise. They're starting to lose the black ant mimicry and gaining green on their underside.

UfJHN2h.jpg

kmXaa7X.jpg

Polyspilota griffinii: Clint is far ahead of her sisters. I haven't seen most of my griffins even calling yet but Clint has been calling for a couple weeks and laid her first ooth today. She hasn't been mated so its infertile.

jwbdFsa.jpg

Tenodera sinensis: The little ones are starting to molt to L2. There's about 50 left. I'm sad its such a low number.

7kY36MM.jpg

21/3/2013 - Three oothecae laid

Mesopteryx alata - Francis' first

Mesopteryx alata - Ester's first

Popa spurca - Bonsly's second

NWFLtUn.jpg

b6ZyEP9.jpg

nRfVd3v.jpg

22/3/2013 One ooth laid, one molt

Mesopteryx alata - Tattle's first

Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii - Spike (M) molts to L6 or 7

v7t1mEA.jpg

wbEwUxo.jpg

7CSpOg2.jpg

eNKlLha.jpg

Miscellaneous items:

1 hydei culture made

1 melano culture made

Swapped the moss substrate in Ester's enclosure for repti-bark

Brought remainder of house fly pupae in from garage.

/end

23/3/2013 - 2 individual molts, 1 group molt

Odontomantis sp. - Monty (M) molts to adult

Taumantis sp. - Mime (M) molts to adult

Humbertiella sp. "Ceylonica" - Group molts to L3. 8 individuals

RyCR9G3.jpg

BLTviTE.jpg

WBhqNMF.jpg

vgBgTqO.jpg

aFqH2nf.jpg

nz7O5ju.jpg

Miscellanious - 2 deaths, 1 infertile ooth lay

Death - Mesopteryx alata adult female Cash - Cause: Appears to be infection. Discolouration, strong smell, squishier than usual.

Death - Hierodula membranacea subadult male Proteus - Cause: Appears to be internal infection or blockage. Abdomen very hard, discolouration near excretory glands. No smell unlike Cash above.

Infertile ooth - Polyspilota griffinii Titan. Never mated, no males. Perhaps use the ooth for an experiment/dissection? Opportunity for learning.

Og8OSHa.jpg

I'm starting to worry about my females. They both have one leg thats bent from the last molt, and they spend a lot of time at the bottom of the enclosure instead of hanging. I hope they molt right.
This can happen, don't worry. Alot of mine also hangout on the ground. It's crazy how small these guys are haha xD! Just make sure to put some moist paper towel or something at the bottom of the enclosure to bump up the humidity. That's important right now.

25/3/2013 - 3 molts

Taumantis sp. - Claire (F) molts to adult

Pnigomantis medioconstricta - Bear Gryls (M?) molts to subadult

Hierodula membranacea - Lipid (F) molts to adult

NnsG2ep.jpg

X5wCVc6.jpg

f5iZ5a5.jpg

AyF49yM.jpg

3vhUum2.jpg

LBeRFzD.jpg

aICEdZA.jpg

zCfSc5L.jpg

Miscellanious

Death - Mesopteryx alata adult female Tattle - Cause: unknown. Grew weak suddenly, was hanging by one leg when checked on and died shortly after.

Death - Mesopteryx alata adult male Archy - Cause: Age and weakness

Housing swap - Large terrarium not required since only one male mesopteryx remains. Put benedict in a smaller enclosure, and moved Pnigomantis medioconstricta subadult female Margaret Brown to large terrarium

Housing swap - Hierodula membranacea adult female Lipid moved to cabinet setup previously occupied by Tattle, Pnigomantis medioconstricta subadult male Bear Gryls moved to DIY enclosure previously occupied by Lipid.

28/3/2013 - 2 molts

Brown Hierodula membranacea Phosphor (F) molts to adult

Hierodula membranacea Tenacious (M) molts to adult

IOwkuto.jpg

WTo87o0.jpg

lBRP1E4.jpg

lTGnnif.jpg

30/3/2012 - one ootheca laid

Mesopteryx alata - Ester's second ooth

3cgjVid.jpg

M5bnhva.jpg

Other news:

Death - Ephestiasula pictipes adult male Balrog - Cause: Potentially age. was 1.5 months adult.

Death - Odontomantis sp. adult male Monty - Cause: unknown. aged 2 weeks adult :(

rearranged shelves. bottom shelf is now all the large enclosures of adult females, top shelf is now smaller enclosures of nymphs and adult males. Oothecae net cubes moved to computer desk.

Work continues on 15 gallon vivarium, and 80oz terrarium with bark lining.