My New (European?) Mantis!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had a problem with mine falling. I have only had my male Carolina fall a couple of inches to the bottom of his container. He looked dead for a minute, it was his intention to fall, so it did nothing but frighten the heck out of me! :lol: I wouldn't attempt to handle the female if she is fat. I have heard of a person letting one fall and she ended up bursting. :( I actually don't handle my Carolina female unless I have to. She seems too frightened, and can run up my arm surprisingly fast. My male Carolina and my Chinese mantids don't mind coming out at all, but that is probably because I raised the male Carolina from about L2, and the Chinese from when they hatched. I could imagine that handling can be very stressfull for any wild creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had a problem with mine falling. I have only had my male Carolina fall a couple of inches to the bottom of his container. He looked dead for a minute, it was his intention to fall, so it did nothing but frighten the heck out of me! :lol: I wouldn't attempt to handle the female if she is fat. I have heard of a person letting one fall and she ended up bursting. :( I actually don't handle my Carolina female unless I have to. She seems too frightened, and can run up my arm surprisingly fast. My male Carolina and my Chinese mantids don't mind coming out at all, but that is probably because I raised the male Carolina from about L2, and the Chinese from when they hatched. I could imagine that handling can be very stressfull for any wild creatures.
Why, thank you 4upakabra!!

@likebugs: she only falls when climbing the glass or when my hand goes in the tank and she runs for cover, so hopefully its not too big of an issue.

Do you think it would hurt her if I offered live grasshoppers around that size every day?

I don't think that it would be a problem to attempt to feed her every day. If she doesn't want it then she won't eat it. If an unwanted hopper is jumping around and bothering my mantids, I simply remove it so they won't be stressed or annoyed. :) I do like to offer moths, flies, and roaches, if I can catch them. I personally wouldn't want to eat the same food, day after day. :mellow: Sometimes, when I don't have the time to catch anything, my mantids get only roaches for a few days in a row. :( At least they seem to like them.

Hmmm, I am relieved to hear that. She has had a thumbnail sized grasshopper the past 3 days. Will try and offer something new Saturday, maybe even a baby gecko if I can catch one...

Hurray, Ooths are in the house!! (notice Herbert eating in the background after her hard work)

008.jpg

I know I'm not supposed to directly spray it, but would it be a bad idea to not move the ooth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts