My new habitats

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstpeter

Reaction score
Built some habitats for my 3 L2s today out of acrylic. I used sheer for ventilation on the bottom, top, and back wall. Lined the floor with some sheet moss, and added in some silk/ plastic flowers.
No lid, empty habitat: IMG_20130624_174248_938.jpg
Empty habitat with lid: IMG_20130624_174316_334.jpg
Finished habitat with mantis: IMG_20130624_175057_942.jpg
All 3, sitting side by side in the window :) IMG_20130624_185724_985.jpg

I got the acrylic at lowes, $12 for a sheet that was large enough to cut all the pieces and have plenty left over. Ok, SO... looks like I'm going to have to try again at some point. This was my first ever attempt at working acrylic, and, well... I thought it was good, but apparently not good enough. The pieces weren't cut precisely enough, and I didn't assemble them precisely enough because I had small gaps through which all of my fruit flies kept escaping! So I modded the rubbermaid containers I had them in before. Made them similar to these acrylic enclosures in that I put ventilation on the top, bottom, and back wall.

I've found that trial and error is a big thing when building any type of enclosure for Mantids! Keep going at it strong and eventually it will come together for you!

If you can find a place that does laser cutting, I can send you a file to give to them and have your sides cut perfectly. :)

What are the dimensions of the sheets that they sell at Lowes? $12 sounds like a great price compared to my school's store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts