My new pet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peter: Well i found some eggs in the substrate afterward, although she might have laid the eggs earlier..... yep i got that edition, it took 2 yrs for Orin's to hatch, Hoping to see the hatchlings next Spring from this batch of eggs, assuming the eggs are fertile.

@Mantidlord: They stalk and then ambush the prey in a sudden spurt by grabbing it with the spiny legs, usually the four front legs. Sometimes they get too eager and drop to the ground upside down with the prey, and continue to stay at the same position until the prey is killed, only then they drag the prey up to a branch to feed, like a cheetah haha.

nseat.jpg

@Tomato: Glad you like it.

That's cool. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm afraid of gettn bit, I'd want one. Never thought any type of katydid could outdo mantids.

Possibly one of the meanest looking critters I've seen in a while and yet I am so fascinated by it! I can't wait to see what the babies look like!

I live in South Texas and have had a pair of red eyed devils all summer. She just started to lay eggs. They are visible in her container of dirt. Do they need any special care--water? anything?This is our first try at red devils? Any help is appreciated.

Huh - I never knew katydids were predatory.

I always thought they ate leaves.... Learn something new every day!

We have a species around here (NY) - not nearly that big...more like a 1" body with 2" wings or so....still bulky, but they fly pretty well. I wonder if mine are also predatory...now I have to research.

Mantis food...... :lol:
Lol, that's what I was thinking! That thing is beautiful, though. I'd love to add one to my dry collection. I'd even consider raising them. Are you planning on selling any in the future?

It looks fairly bulky but I bet there are mantids out there that could handle it. :)

Latest posts