My new veiled chameleons

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a picture of where they are living.

DSCN2388.jpg

Yeah, it's a work in progress. I have added a few more sticks for climbing since the photo. They love the umbrella plants. I will be looking into more vine type plants. I have some wandering jew in my backyard and will get a cutting or two started. I am also thinking about passion flower, but they seem to want to "strangle" other plants. The pothos should start vining out and I will tie it around the inside of the cage with either twist ties or some jewelry wire. Just these couple of plants and regular showering of the chams has really upped the humidity in the room. They seem to be a good fit for the bug room.

This is a picture of where they are living.

DSCN2388.jpg

I hope this is screen and not glass!!

I owned these years ago and they are very prone to parasites. One of them had an infected eye and died.

The other one died after only a year.

No one knew anything about them back then, now we know you cant put them in glass terrariums, they need

a very large screened in encloser with plenty of room and ventilation.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but they are hard to keep alive and even harder to breed (if they live!!).

I made calls to every Zoo, Reptile farm and Herpitoligist I could find, and found out that most Zoo's do not keep

them because they seem to die for no reason. And they could never get them to breed even if they did live!!

That was a long time ago, and I am sure a lot more is known about them.

At that time, there was only one book published about them, and it was in German (I had to pay to get the book translated!!)

and I had to go to Cornell U library to even find the book!!!

I also had a pair of Jackson's. Both species stress very easy and do not like to be handled.

You can let them volunteer to climb on you, but do not grab them.

I would also put more large sticks in there for them to climb on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where you're coming from. BUT...there is A LOT of information out there now and even a forum, which I joined. Don't worry, it's a 2x2x4 screen DIY cage and I have added more sticks. Most of the problems of yesteryear were probably due to the fact of wild caught specimens. People are now very successful with raising and breeding them. One lady on the forum just received a baby veiled from a couple of breeders that was a grandbaby of one of her chameleons that had passed away. Most that can be purchased today are captive bred and are less likely to have parasites. That's not to say that they aren't still susceptible, but with proper care and hygiene you lessen the risk. Check out the chameleon forums and see where the hobby is today. You might just want to get another one (or 2 :lol: ). There wasn't much info on raising and breeding mantids years ago, but look at what's going on here.

I can see where you're coming from. BUT...there is A LOT of information out there now and even a forum, which I joined. Don't worry, it's a 2x2x4 screen DIY cage and I have added more sticks. Most of the problems of yesteryear were probably due to the fact of wild caught specimens. People are now very successful with raising and breeding them. One lady on the forum just received a baby veiled from a couple of breeders that was a grandbaby of one of her chameleons that had passed away. Most that can be purchased today are captive bred and are less likely to have parasites. That's not to say that they aren't still susceptible, but with proper care and hygiene you lessen the risk. Check out the chameleon forums and see where the hobby is today. You might just want to get another one (or 2 :lol: ). There wasn't much info on raising and breeding mantids years ago, but look at what's going on here.
I was going to day the same thing.

In fact, most of the advice given is so out dated that It's silly.

In Europe, 90% of keepers use full or partial glass with out issue.

Regardless of what the people in Florida or southern California ( the vast majority of the cameleon forum users), glass is also used here in the northern states. In fact, many cameleons require it.

I personally still use screen cages, but i at least know how to mod them to help with humidity for my animals. Otherwise I would use glass.

You can look at some of my videos on YouTube for cage ideas under the name, micamica1217.

But please make sure that there are plenty of walking sticks and one that is close enough to help them bask under the main light.

Harry

Oh, and stick with pothos, ficus, and umbrella trees.

Veilds will eat plant leaves as they get bigger and some plants are poisonous. (Wondering Jew)

Harry

I must be doing something right. My female went through a full body shed today. Last night there was a white spot and this morning she was cracking. I gave her a good spray down and left for work. When I came home there was a little pile of shed skin on the floor below where she basks. Looks like my first shed is a success and all other variables seem to be in check. The boy was just finishing a shed when I got them, so he should be coming up on a shed soon.

Here's a couple photos of my female shedding. Taken with my phone, so please excuse the quality.

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

Here are also a couple of pics from tonight at bedtime. How come they are so darn cute when they sleep? :wub:

Here's the male

DSCN2484.jpg
...And here's the female. Can I get a consensus on adorable, or what? I had to take a couple. :D

DSCN2483.jpg

DSCN2491.jpg

This ones my favorite.

DSCN2492.jpg

Nice shedding pics! I don't remember ever seeing a chameloen sheddding; I'm glad you shared 'em despite being from your phone.

And yeah, those sleeping pics will evoke many d'awww moments. :)

I knew the male wouldn't be far behind. He's been kinda grumpy and I saw his skin wrinkling, so it was just a matter of time before he started. I came home to a disgruntled shedding chameleon. They just seem so down when shedding. But after seeing what happened after this shed, I can't wait for the next. Here's a some photos of his ordeal. I see spots!

DSCN2496.jpg

DSCN2506.jpg

DSCN2507.jpg

DSCN2525.jpg

DSCN2526.jpg

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN2532.jpg

DSCN2535.jpg

DSCN2538.jpg

DSCN2541.jpg

Latest posts