My next mantis - shipping in winter?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisto9

Reaction score
I just lost my first mantis, Barry Mantilow. We had her for two months and she laid five ooths. I'm sadder than I thought I'd be after losing her yesterday.

I'd love to get another one, problem is it's winter in Iowa and I don't even know if anyone ships in winter. Since I have five of her ooths, there's a chance I could hold a few nymphs and keep one as a pet, but I'm guessing that's months away.

I'd like another mantis, preferably of the smaller variety. Wondering what everyone's recommendations would be. I'd like one that's low-maintenance and doesn't require a specific humidity (like an orchid).

What's the going rate for a mantis shipped in winter? Is that even a thing?

I miss my Barry. :(

IMG_8810.jpg

Again I’m sorry to hear about Barry. One of my female Carolinas actually passed away today as well :( .  Usually winter overnight shipping is 25-30 dollars... a good small easy species could be a spiny flower, ghost, thistle, etc. 

Again I’m sorry to hear about Barry. One of my female Carolinas actually passed away today as well :( .  Usually winter overnight shipping is 25-30 dollars... a good small easy species could be a spiny flower, ghost, thistle, etc. 
Aww, sorry to hear it, my friend. 

The spiny flower ones look CUTE. Do you have a site/breeder your recommend? 

There are many good breeders on here. It’s hard to choose. One site I highly recommend is mantidkingdom.com by @DeShawn. Never had a problem with him. In fact I’ve always had more than a positive experience.

There are many good breeders on here. It’s hard to choose. One site I highly recommend is mantidkingdom.com by @DeShawn. Never had a problem with him. In fact I’ve always had more than a positive experience.
Cool - that's the forum I was looking today. Thanks Connor. I hope to get another one soon. We still have Bruce. She's so big! I like the smaller ones better.

I placed an order from Mantidkingdom - fingers crossed! I got a thistle mantis. I can't wait! 

Yeah. You don’t need substrate btw. And you only need to spray the container once every two weeks though. Or never.

Yeah. You don’t need substrate btw. And you only need to spray the container once every two weeks though. Or never.
I'm going to chat with DeShawn. I want a mantis that's easy to keep, so I may swap out for something else.

I'm reading that this is not a good species for beginners... so I want to do the right thing and get something easier.

That’s probably a good idea. If you’re looking for something small and easy he has got some Indian flower mantis.

That’s probably a good idea. If you’re looking for something small and easy he has got some Indian flower mantis.
I think I'm going to go for double shield. They seem close to my Carolina that I had. Looks like they might get a tad bigger.

I think I'm going to go for double shield. They seem close to my Carolina that I had. Looks like they might get a tad bigger.
Yeah double shields are a very large species. Very pretty though.

Sorry to hear about Barry. These little guys do so creep into your hearts and are gone all too soon.

Just food for thought for the next time you are looking to shop for mantises. If you like small mantises that are easy to care for Miomantis paykullii are a good choice. They only get about 1.5 to 2 inches long as adults, can eat fruit flies their whole lives, and are easy to breed if you feel like giving that a shot. I personally love the tiny things just cause they take up so little room so you can keep a small horde of them if you feel like it. The only downside is that taking adult males out of their cages usually ends up in your chasing them everywhere as they fly about. The males fly very well (pretty much like a moth) and can get away from you easy if you are not careful. I once lost one male for 3 days before finding him again.

Latest posts