My next mantis - shipping in winter?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no shopping for mantids locally; we just happened upon Barry a few months ago and decided to bring her inside. We don't have shops around here that sell them. So, it was either wait for spring and hope Barry's ooths produced and keep one as a pet, or order online. I'm not keen on ordering online, as paying $40 or more for a bug just seems silly. But it's the next-day shipping that kills ya' - that's not the seller's fault.

I really came to like Barry. She was tame, didn't fly and curious. She was great to have out and let wander around. We also have a Chinese Mantis, but I have to admit, her size scares the ship out of me.

I just looked up Miomantis paykullii and they are CUTE!

Not looking to get more than one or two mantids - I'd rather take really good care of 1-2 pets than poor care of 10. :) We also have 6 birds, so I want to make sure all my pets are getting their needs met!

Mios are very cute, I love how translucent they are too!

In regards to the Chinese mantis, if it helps I had one lady who like to try to bite people and I can say it didn`t hurt at all. It was far more funny then harmful in any way. At one point I had some 40 adult Chinese mantises and they were all lovely to handle (besides that one nibbler lol). If you can I would try to get to know your Chinese mantis as they have such big personalities and are really nothing to be afraid of.

Well, Bruce, our Chinese mantis, laid another ooth last night! We also took her out yesterday and let her hang out on the pencil plant for a few hours, which she seemed to enjoy. 

I'm guessing my new mantis from mantidkingdom.com will be coming next week... which is good, because I'm wondering how much longer Bruce will be around.

I need to quit naming my mantids so soon... LOL both of them were female.

Latest posts