My Setup... Am I doing this right?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litleape

Reaction score
So we made a few terrariums because we were thinking about getting some mantids. I am a newbie but wanted to give this a try. They are 10 gallon tanks with screen lids, 2 inches of dirt and a couple real houseplants inside. We have also added some long sticks for climbing. The room naturally stays about 80, maybe less at night. My boyfriend came in from the garden today and when he was washing his hands, the littlest nymph fell off his shoulder into the sink. After rescuing him from the swirling soapy water, he and I bonded for a minute at he sat calmly on my finger. I decided I wanted to keep him so I put him in the terrarium to walk around. He seems to like it but I am wondering if it is too big for him.

I have read so much about these smaller cups that people keep nymphs in and I have also heard that if their enclosure is too big that they won't be able to catch food. So... do nymphs just live in small little 8-16 oz cups? Can I let him live in the terrarium but only feed him in the smaller cup? How do you guys strike a balance? Also, since I found him outside, I have no idea how old he is. How do I know when he is going to start molting? Do you think that could be why he is not eating or is it because the aquarium is too big for him?

All I could find at the pet store were small crickets which were too big for him. I put a housefly in there, a small moth, a small beetle, a couple rose buds with aphids on them, and a piece of banana (to attract fruit flies). If I don't see him start eating, when should I start to worry? How can I go about getting the right kind of food for him and how do I know if he is getting enough?

If you want more questions, I've got them.

I would like to know your guys' thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have things that actually fly, then the area is not relevant because the lil nymph will stalk its prey, its a problem when there are only fruit flies and crickets that only walk and/or cant climb. 10 gallons may still be a tad huge for one nymph but ive seen others do it successfully with only nymph and 1 fly at a time, and 2 weeks of no eating is when you get concerned(give or take, plus it may be ready to molt).

In general bigger is not better. For tiny nymphs I prefer the 32 oz insect cup. The problem with large enclosures is that the feeder insects have less chance of coming into contact with the mantis. Even large speices I prefer to keep in those little 2.5 gallon tank. I can divide those into thirds and keep three adults in them even. Net cages are also good.

yea, put little guy in a mayo jar with screen or panty hose w/rubber band as lid, and the rose petals with the alphids is all he needs for now other than a little misting each day.

If I do put him in a smaller container, how long does he need to stay in it? Can I let him out to "play" in the bigger terrarium? Is a smaller container big enough for molting? Thanks everyone!

Like Rick pointed out, putting nymphs in big terrariums will create less chances of feeder flies to be preyed upon by the little mantids unless you put lots of feeders within the enclosure, which would seem a waste. 32 oz container seems about right. After they eat you can always put them into the bigger enclosure too watch them run around in.

Your set up sounds good to me. Personaly I use clear storage containers with holes cut in them for a spunge and a screen and fill it with wood chips, twigs, and fake ivey. There isnt really any wrong way to create a home for your mantids though as long as you make sure their needs are met.

They can certainly play in there, it is a lot of fun for the babies to have somewhere to run around in, I catch the stinkers in my Bugatorium all the time and they will be swaying an looking around like they are king of the mountains! :lol:

Latest posts